• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Reducing .BLP size question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Well I know theres a program for reducing mdx size but my question is this: Is there a program for reducing .blp size as well or what would be the best way of reducing the .blp size without major loss in quality? Please be thorough if you're going to recommend a complicated process. Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yes ofcourse, there's one. It's called Art Tools. Art Tools produce the best palleted blps for models, they can appear to be very big images, but once added to an MPQ, they are optimized to half or more. For blps that are created for the interface, like loading screen or Icons, use BLP Paletter from PitzerMike. There's also a good russian tool that creates very optimized icons using jpeg compression.

There are also technics to optimize more like nullifying the unused pixels and reducing the mipmaps until you addapt them to the maxima and minima rendered within the map.

You can always re-save the blp using Warcraft 3 Viewer or Wc3 Image Extractor II and decide how compressed the skin you want it to be. The lower the percent, the less the size will be (though you should be careful with the percent, as it will also become blurrier)

And seeing that this thread has to do with textures rather than models, I'll move it to the correct place.

Level 6
yes ofcourse, there's one. It's called Art Tools. Art Tools produce the best palleted blps for models, they can appear to be very big images, but once added to an MPQ, they are optimized to half or more. For blps that are created for the interface, like loading screen or Icons, use BLP Paletter from PitzerMike. There's also a good russian tool that creates very optimized icons using jpeg compression.

There are also technics to optimize more like nullifying the unused pixels and reducing the mipmaps until you addapt them to the maxima and minima rendered within the map.

My god. Knowledgeable about models and vJass. Is there anything you can't do in wc3? Thanks.

You can always re-save the blp using Warcraft 3 Viewer or Wc3 Image Extractor II and decide how compressed the skin you want it to be. The lower the percent, the less the size will be (though you should be careful with the percent, as it will also become blurrier)

And seeing that this thread has to do with textures rather than models, I'll move it to the correct place.

Was extremely simple and worked amazingly well. I now have blp files that were 175 kb large down to 35 kb and the quality difference is minor at best. Thanks a ton.
EDIT: experimented with lowering quality of the textures even more. It blurs a tiny bit but not enough to cause any issues so now most .blp files are 5-15 kb in size. Very useful for reducing some of my 400 kb textures down to 35 kb.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.