• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Really Loud Beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Sometimes my PC makes this very loud beeping noise from the speakers, it rarely does this though. It might take so long to do it that when it happens i am reminded it could do that in the first place. I have no idea what it is, it starts up fine and there doesn't seem to be any problem at all. When i restart it is always gone.

Level 8
Could be a mobo warning. I remember my old mobo, you could turn on a warning for when a fan wasn't spinning. Since I didn't even have an aux fan... Well let's just say I turned it off, after much noise.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
If it is from external speakers then it could be an audio driver crash.

Like the display, sound is not something that can be turned off very easily. Instead it prefers to constantly send output, even if that output is the same as the previous output. If the graphic drivers crash then the display hangs on the last frame as it cannot update the output buffer, at least until they are restarted or the system rebooted.

I am guessing sound works in the same way, with a driver crash causing the last packet of sound data (each packet is a certain period of time) to be repeated indefinitely. Depending on what kind of sound data this was at the time of the crash, you will get a variety of noises. If it was idling doing nothing (no sound output), then no audible sound will be heard as it repeats a DC signal. If the sound was a distinctive piece of a music then you will hear part of that music repeat itself again and again. If the sound was some random noise (buffer garbage, or hardware malfunction) it is highly likely you will hear a screeching sound as the produced sound will have an abnormally high frequency.

Level 27
Do you tend to have a mobile phone near your speakers?

Well yes, it's a mobile home phone but it has done this without any devices around. And the tone is VERY high pitch unlike anything interfering you can hear probably hear it from pretty far away, and no matter how high my volume is if i just turn on the sound it will go on full force so to say =p But as i said it just seems to occur rarely and pretty much randomly =S

Could be a mobo warning. I remember my old mobo, you could turn on a warning for when a fan wasn't spinning. Since I didn't even have an aux fan... Well let's just say I turned it off, after much noise.

I do have this warning but i put it off in the bios because there is nothing wrong with any of the fans, and the sound is not coming from the motherboard but from the speakers.

I think DSG could be onto something with the driver crashing, i will try to to reinstall the driver again but seeing as i have no idea what causes this to happen i have no idea how to make it beep again to test it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.