• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Rate my new comp please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
INSPIRON 1525 - Total cost = $799.00 ($870.96 With Tax + Shipping)

Intel Celeron 550 (2.0GHz, 533Mhz 1M L2 Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
Jet Black Color
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
High Resolution Glossy Widescreen, 15.4 inch display (1440x900)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
80GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Integrated Modem
CD Writer/DVD Player (Combo Drive)
Hi-Definition Audio 2.0
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini-Card
Integrated 2.0 Megapixel Webcam
28 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 Cell)
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
Dell Travel Mouse (with Bluetooth Technology)

So, I think I'm getting a real good deal for my money. If I'm running Vista Home Premium, should I go with 3GB RAM and a better processor or stick with what I have?

THANKS!

RATE ON SCALE 1-10

Ash

Ash

Level 22
We can't exactly rate it on a scale of 1-10 because we don't know what you're wanting your PC for.

If you wanted it for server management -- however highly unlikely that is -- that it's not the best, although it would run.

I'm going to take 'a blinder' and say you want it for gaming, -- jee, who would've guessed I'd say that! -- it's not too bad. The RAM is more than fine, although the processor is a bit lacking but it'll still play fine with most games.

The only thing I'd worry about is your Graphics card, you'll be able to play most of the games out at the moment although by the end of this year you'll need a replacement card.

And the operating system worries me too, if you're going with vista then god help you :p

Hope this was helpful :)

Level 17
If you tend on using that for gaming, you should really considering getting a real GPU(Intel has terrible Graphics Cards, although yours doesn't look to bad), also, your RAM is probably a lot more than your ever going to use, you should instead go with 2 GB + better GPU & CPU.

Level 36
Terrible.

The Celeron is possibly the worst processor that Intel has ever released, and at only 2.0 GHZ you're not getting much at all. Dual core is the present, and Quad Core is the future. You can buy a 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo processor for like 250 dollars. If you're really cheap, you can buy the best AMD processor for $300.

The RAM is pretty standard, not gaming quality, but enough to get you into Vista without too much grinding away.

The only other problem is your graphics solution. Integrated graphics wont get you anywhere, especially if you want to play current games, so if you ever want to play any new games, you'll have to find yourself a video card.

So, I've come to the conclusion that you got ripped off. Big time. You can buy a computer with newer and better equipment for around the same price or a few hundred more, and it would last you longer and perform much better.

Level 15
For a standard (non-gaming) laptop, it looks decent. If you expect to play current computer games on it at any decent speed, prepare to be disappointed.

Buy a Dell Vostro 1500. For around $800, you can get a GeForce M 8600GT graphics chip with 512MB of GDDR2, 120-160GB hard drive, 2GB of RAM, a Core 2 Duo at 1.4GHz or 1.6GHz (much faster than the celeron), a bigger battery cell, and best of all: your choice of XP Home or Vista Home.

Level 22
Unfortunately, I must agree with brad.dude03.
I built my current computer 3 years ago for about $1000. I have since added about $140 worth of upgrades.
General stats:

2.0 Ghz AMD Athlon 3000
2GB (4 x 512) Dual-Channel DDR RAM
80 GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
2 x NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS (256 GB RAM, 256 bit) Video Cards w/SLI
CD Burner/DVD Player, etc.
Windows XP Service Pack 2

You have more RAM, but I have you in the processor and a HUGE advantage with the video cards.
My dad recently bought a computer for somewhere in the area of $1500. General stats:

3.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB (2 x 2GB) Dual-Channel DDR2 RAM
325 GB Hard Drive
2 x NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT (1GB RAM) Video Cards w/SLI
2 x CD Burner/DVD Player, etc.
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit Edition

I think either of those builds is a better deal than yours for the money.

Level 15
Just a note: Frizkie is referring to a laptop, not a desktop. Pricing is obviously somewhat different between the two.

Level 15
Nono, I'm referring to a laptop. My sister got an HP laptop for Christmas, in the market of 600 dollars, with a Core 2 Duo inside. That alone makes it better.
Indeed. I'm not saying the original was a good deal. It just seemed like people were quoting more "desktop" related hardware. Oh well, no worries. :grin: We're all agreed on the OP's computer specs being not a good deal.

Level 3
I really know what you guys mean, but I'm not really in for gaming. Sure, I'll obviously play Warcraft III and maybe occasionally Guild Wars, but that's it.

Level 15
Even so, you should shop around more before getting this one because for the same price (or less), you can get something better from Dell.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Frizkie, thats a good PC for surfing the net and doing work and stuff. However it will not run any modern games due to the lack of a separate graphics accelerator and those it does will be at low with lag. The processor aint that good eithor since even low range PC's now all seem to use intel dual core 2s.

So it depends entirly on what you want to use it for. If gamming is one of those things then it will probably rate 1 atmost 2 (worst possiable). If it is work and technical things you want it for it will score much higher but still lower than something with a dual core and a separate graphics processor (even a slowish one).

Status
Not open for further replies.