• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Raptor

Animated by HeroicMilkman

Give credit if you use this in your map.

Please DO NOT distribute or modify this resource without permission.

Keywords:
Dinosaur dilophosaurus
Contents

Dilophosaurus (Model)

Assets
Reviews
General Frank: (Approved) [09-29-07] Model works and is very nice.

M

General Frank:

(Approved) [09-29-07]

Model works and is very nice.

Level 5
The only thing I can find wrong with it (asides from the head) is that the frill behind its head is missing. (Unknown if it actually had it, but it created one of my favorite scenes from Jurrasic Park.) About the coloring, its just a theory and a side note, but dinosaurs (mostly the later ones) may have been as vividly colored as birds.

The frill behind it head isn't missing, it's not even supposed to be there! The Dilophosaurus from Jurassic Park is Totally unreal! It's WAY to smal it didn't spit venom (because if it did, it would probebly have hollow fangs like the spitting cobra, wich is the only spiting reptile, and the Dilophosaurus doesn't have hollow fangs) and there is absolutely no evidence that the Dilophosaurus had a frill behind it head. And I don't make unreallistic dinosaurs.

Level 4
olof, is there something you dont know about dinosaurs or fossils? Anyway, the model looks good and the skin is perfect too. As for the animations, the death animation. Its beak opens really really wide and looks like some metal wires are between it. (dinos with braces?) but you said yourself you dont make the animations, so this is more pointed to Heroic_Milkman.

Yes, I can't animate. well I never tryed, but I don't have the programs for animating. and I allready posted a pic of my Beta T-rex on the forum, but no-one seems to want to animate it.

And there are lot's of things I don't know about Dinosaurs and fossils, but I'm no professional paleontologist, I just collect fossils for fun, and try to learn about them.

Level 5
Very good! Glad that you decided to make my favorite, and that you didn't base it off of that innacurate version portrayed in Jurassic Park (The frill was innacurate, but ok. The poison-spitting thing was just plain BAD).

Axlefoley- Where did you hear that Dilophosaurus might have been black? First of all, there's no proof, and second of all, black wouldn't have made sense for a jungle-dwelling Triassic carnivore.

Olofmoleman- Your data is slightly incorrect. Dilophosaurus lived from the late Triassic to the early Jurassic, predominently the latter. Also, it did not live only in Arizona. Traces of a larger subspecies were found in the Connecticut River valley in New England (Near my home state 8) ).

Level 8
the dinosaur wouldn't need hollow fangs to spit poison out, there is a bird that has a defence were he hocks from the back of his throat black goo wich stings the eyes of predators and has a bad smell, kind of like puke but it spits up from the valve thing at the back of the throat so its not too hard to beleive i dinosaur would have this capability aswell esp for a smaller dino like this, it would most likely use it for defence purpose only because its pray would be lizards and other small creatures.
i know theres no proof about what colour this dino would be so i think it would be different colours depending on its enviroment, green, brown, black.
i think it could have a frill on it, again i know theres no proof of this but i think it would make a good animation for this and would make stand out alot from the other dinos so maybe you could do 2 versions then we or both happy. the crest on his head could be better but i'm happy with the dino so i give it a 5/5

Level 8
no one said it was unreallistic it could justbe another version of the dinosaur, lets face it we dont know either way wether this dinosaur spit or had frills or if he didn't so why they that the one with the frill is unreal compared to this one when we have no proof either way, you could just do a fantasy version of it, i just think a spitting animation would be usefull esp on warcraft. its completely up to you, either way i love the models. :lol:

Level 5
olofmoleman, all your dinosaurs models are awesome! im curious which other dinosaurs you will be coming out with and how many you plan to do. because im looking forward to some apatosaurus, diplodocus, brachiosaurus, pachycephalosaurus, of course t-rex, and my personal favorite deinonychus. keep up the good work

Level 2
Now for a spitting animation and frilled neck when it attacks like in JP :shock: lol, mebe hydralisk animation...idk :roll:

Level 2
Now for a spitting animation and frilled neck when it attacks like in JP :shock: lol, mebe hydralisk animation...idk :roll:

Level 4
Sweet. BTW, did any of you read the book?

the dinosaur wouldn't need hollow fangs to spit poison out, there is a bird that has a defence were he hocks from the back of his throat black goo wich stings the eyes of predators and has a bad smell, kind of like puke but it spits up from the valve thing at the back of the throat so its not too hard to beleive i dinosaur would have this capability aswell...

In the book, the dilophosaurus spit something exactly like mr.psycho mentioned. And it didn't use hollow fangs, it spat, and since they're closely related to birds, it's possible. I doubt that's actually what a dilophosaur could do though, and since it was ten feet tall, I doubt it would need poison. :p

Level 25
I've always assumed the Jurrasic Park Dilopho was a juvinile. Its playful nature rather than its "Rip through the stupid human" nature lead me to believe that

And I'm pretty sure to have a neck frill it would have needed bones to support the thing. Maybe only muscles though

If you can find out what a Frill Neck lizard uses for its frill and find a way that a Dilopho would have had it, then I'll listen to your theory

some animals with frills (or something like it) use them to look bigger and impress other rivals of the same species or impress females (in that case normaly only males have frills and stuff like that) the Dilophosaurus would have absolutely no use for poison. It was the biggest predator of it's time, it had no reason to make itself look bigger because only an other Dilophosaurus would be a match for it. it was strong and probably also fast (btw it probably mostly ate prosauropods, and they moved slow). and like Mecheon said, a frill like that would need support, like bones or muscles, evidence of a frill has never been found, so there is absolutely NO reason to assume the the Dilophosaurus had a frill on it's neck. It's just as absurd to suggest that a Velociraptor had a frill.. so I have come to the conclusion that the frill on the Dilophosaurus is 100% FICTION. as for the poison spit, same with frill no reason to assume that the Dilophosaurus spat venom, so both are 100% FICTION.
Ofcourse it CAN be true (however unlikely) but we just haven't got ANYTHING to base it on.