• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Random Terrain Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Before I have heard people say that they have created a random dungeon generator for their maps. This system is supposed to create a playable map that works every time for them. Has anyone seen something like this before or knows if it is even possible? I know that just a random terrain generator is possible, but I want to know about somehow doing it so the map is still playable with the new terrain every time. One of the maps made a long time ago for Battle.net's halloween contest boasted that they had this system, though I can not find the maps link right now. SO does anyone think that this is possible?:confused:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is quite possiable, you simply have to write the right scripts that use different methods/systems to randomize terane. The trouble is generating good terane efficently, but thenagin who cares about 5 min load times for random terane. You have to use terane deformations for height (NO CLIFFS unless simulated (not recomended)) and the change terane functions. The hard part is to make a fool proof system that always works and never bugs, but that is the chalenge of the creator.

REMEMBER, the minimap always is messed up on randomly generated maps (it does not update to match the new terane and so shows the default) and since you do not have the actions to generate a picture pixel by pixel to replace over the old mini-map, you will have to eithor have a messed up mini map or a picture where the mini-map should be.

Level 8
A good example of a game that uses random terrain generation would be Random TD. I also believe there was a RPG that used Dungeon Generation by creating "rooms", surrounding those rooms with walls, and then generating hallways between those rooms. After that, it would populate the dungeon with creatures and items, and voila, new dungeon!

EDIT: If you wanted to do terrain editing, the GUI function is:
  • Environment - Change terrain type at (Center of (Playable map area)) to Lordaeron Summer - Dirt using variation -1 in an area of size 1 and shape Circle
And its JASS equivalent is:
JASS:
SetTerrainType takes real x, real y, integer terrainType, integer variation, integer area, integer shape returns nothing
Set TerrainType( x, y, terrainType, variation, area, shape)

I also believe there was a RPG that used Dungeon Generation by creating "rooms", surrounding those rooms with walls, and then generating hallways between those rooms. After that, it would populate the dungeon with creatures and items, and voila, new dungeon!

Do you by any chance mean "Dungeon of Garel'ta" (or something like that) by Laosh'Ra?

Level 12
So this is possible and there are good examples of it? By any chance, do you have a link to that map Preskooldude? I would like to see it. And DrSuperGood, you talk about scripts and the like, is it Jass scripts that you need to write t do this or is it possible to write out the systems in GUI and still get a good result? I was thinking of possibly making (or just starting knowing me) an egyptian tomb map where you had to find the Pharoh and kill him and thought it would get boring if I had only one map... so meh. Thanks for explaining.

Level 8
Do you by any chance mean "Dungeon of Garel'ta" (or something like that) by Laosh'Ra?

I.... believe so. Thing is though, they didn't actually use a change of terrain, just the addition of pathing blockers. Also, the map lags like hell when it's making the dungeon.

So this is possible and there are good examples of it? By any chance, do you have a link to that map Preskooldude? I would like to see it.

I found it on wc3sear.ch... And it no longer seems to be available...
I've checked every other site that i could think of...

So sorry, I can't find it >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.