• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question : Modeling in Blender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hey all!
I've been using Blender long ago, and I still know many things about it.
Now that I've discovered modeling, I want to know if it is possible to model using Blender.
Blender is a 3D creating program, if you didn't know.

So...
The question is...
Is it possible to make models with Blender?
A) Yes.
B) No.
C) Maybe.
D) What's Blender?

I think you can, just get it to .mdl. I think you can directly save a blender model as a .mdl but I am not sure. Otherwise just try to find a converter.

Then just use something like Guessed's MDL <> MDX Converter to use it. However, I am not fully sure if this works; so you should just make some simple plane, try the technique out (to convert it to mdx) and see if it works, since I haven't seen many modelers use Blender.

Level 14
OKay then. Can I know where to get Milkshape or 3DS Max free? I thought 3DS Max costs ~100$ or more. (Don't know if I forgot a 0.)
Anyways, I'd like finding the easiest one of them.

Well, I'll see if Blender works. If not, I'll give you an answer, and then try finding Milkshape.

Edit: Found Milkshape. I shall try it.
Thank you all.

Last edited:
Level 49
You really can't get 3DS Max 4\5\6 - for free OR for money, it's really ancient. If you have one lying around somewhere, or you're lucky and you can find it somewhere, then use it.

Also, Milkshape costs like 20$, it's not too problemous to get it is it? :/

You're not allowed to discuss illegal matters here, btw.

Level 14
Oh well, I'm using free license.. (as to Not Registered), and yes, it is problemeous : There's nothing we can get in our country here.. 20$ is 1400 money in our country. So... Yes it is.

Level 14
Oh okay.
Well, I got milkshape AND Blender. Blender was too strange.
Milkshape gave me an error when I loaded background image.. (Following HappyTauren's tutorial, attachment modeling)

MilkShape 3D FAQ said:
Why does my background image not appear when I use the 'Choose Background Image...' option?

In some cases background images have to be of a dimension that is a power of two and in all cases there is a maximum size of image. This is completely dependant on the kind of graphics card you have. Some people find that their image does not display unless it is of a power of 2. I originally ran MilkShape 3D on a 3dfx Voodoo 3, the maximum image size I could use was 256x256 and it had to be of a power of 2. Now I use an NVIDIA GeForce 2 Ti and I can use any size I want (deduced from numerous tests). If it doesn't work on your machine try to match some of the special cases I have just talked about, trial and error is your best bet.

Source: http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/ms3d/help/htmlfiles/Appendices/MS3DFAQ.html

Level 14
Hmm...On the tutorial by HappyTauren, it says 128x516. So I used it.
Anyways , thanks Pharaoh.

Status
Not open for further replies.