• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Quel'thalas

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: JesusHipster
I wanted a large melee map based on a WoW zone but I was unable to find one, so I tried my best at making one. I've never used World Editor before and this was my first shot. Tried to make the map look as close as I could to Eversong in WoW. With it being my first map ever, I tried to keep it simple.

My first (and probably only) attempt at making a WC3 map and I kind of just made it for myself, but I wanted to share because I didn't think it was awful and maybe someone else will find it as enjoyable as I do. I'm open to comments.

Keywords:
Eversong, World of Warcraft.
Contents

Quel'thalas (Map)

Reviews
18:56, 4th Apr 2016 Rufus: Rufus ReviewMap ScoreGameplay:3 / 30Aesthetics:3 / 20Total:6 / 50 Rating Chart 45-505/5 Highly Recommended35-444/5 Recommended25-343/5 Useful15-242/5 Lacking0-141/5 Unacceptable Gameplay Gameplay wouldn't be fair...

M

18:56, 4th Apr 2016
Rufus:
profilepic210991_9.gif
Rufus Review
Map Score
Gameplay:3 / 30
Aesthetics:3 / 20
Total:6 / 50

Rating Chart
45-505/5 Highly Recommended
35-444/5 Recommended
25-343/5 Useful
15-242/5 Lacking
0-141/5 Unacceptable

mapdev.gif
Gameplay
Gameplay wouldn't be fair, as all players has very different locations in an asymmetric map, giving them unbalanced expansions and options. For example, red has a fortress up in the north west, with only one exit, while lighblue is in the middle of everything with low protection in almost all directions.
The item tables are ok. It doesn't matter much however since they are scattered unevenly over the map.
Sadly, this map barely works as a melee map at all.

terrianforum.gif
Aesthetics
Terrain is very simple. There are few doodads beside the placed trees. The doodads that are placed looks lonely and dull. The tile variation is not very good either as the ground is almost completely covered in one tile in different sections of the map. It looks strange, and not very good. Additionally, you offer advantage to the undead troops as you've added a string of blight through the middle of the map. You should try using the higher / lower tool in the terrain editor as it will make the map look more alive. Right now, the map only contain lizzard cliffs, which is blaced badly, and doesn't look very appealing.

You should try experimenting with smaller maps if you want to improve your terraining skills, as huge maps oftenly are hard to make look good.

the descrription also needs to be improved, as it is currently unappealing. You should try reading one of the guides to a better description.

triggersandscriptsforum.gif
Bugs
By not having edited resources, the map does not have bugs.

updatesandnewsforum.gif
Summary
It is not a bad map, considering it is your first ever world-editor created resource. My first map had flying bridges and a total of 15 doodads, with only one player. I hope you use your knowledge you have recieved crreating this map in a new project. However, This map lacks too much in each field to be approvable.

There are many things to fix.
Status set to Awaiting Update.