• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Altered Melee] PurrsandMlems' Beast faction

-PurrsandMlems' Beast faction-
Foreword: This faction is still in development, its in a sort of playable alpha state, so decided to post it here in the hopes of
gaining some feedback, and possible collabaration.

Ingame at begin select your race through dialogue, can choose to play Beast this way.
If there is AI too, host will get to choose race for each.

Otherwise its pretty much the standard melee.

Also i must warn that i am still using 1.27b, as in the last version before Reforged. I can only attest
to the map functioning in this version, and cannot offer any support on making it work on Reforged.

Lots of Information
The inspiration for this faction was some screenshots from early alpha stage development, that could be seen on the now gone
Scrolls of Lore website. The screenies depicted gnolls, centaurs and tauren, even kobolds standing together in what appears
to be their camp, that only had several of those neutral hut structures present. Seeing upon that must have inspired an idea
that lurked back in the deep recessess of my mind only to be later manifested when i set about to formulate an idea for the
creeps becoming a playable race, somehow. Another inspiration has been Mephestrial's Gnolls race.

The Beasts as a faction can be best described as a unholy alliance of creeps, of which many are not even of the same tileset.
They have a flat tech-tree, that relies on constructing different dwellings to unlock the production of new units at their only
production structure, the War Kennel. Each dwelling provides food, yet takes different amount of time to construct, longest is
the Harpy nest, with Gnoll Hut being the fastest.

There is only one level to their main structure the Encampment, after all we dont see creeps erecting mighty fortresses.
Perhaps because of that reasoning, their only defense structure, Savage Tower does not even function on its own like
those of other races, but first needs to be manned with Gnoll Poachers to even begin shooting.

The only upgrade at the Forge, Beast Strength upgrades both Damage and Armor of affected units, in addition to increasing
their base hit points. A Thieves Guild serves as the shop, as no sane being would prefer to deal with them. There is only
a fairly generic selection offered, with the only item of interest being the Orb of Slow that prerequisites an Elemental Grove.

The Kobold Dredge is their worker, gathering both resources and capable of repairing structures.
The Beasts use a two-worker system, with the Kobold Dredge that gathers the resources and the Kobold Geomancer that builds
the structures, and also doubles as a support unit. This division reminisces to the Undead with their Ghoul and Acolyte, yet is
different as the Kobold Geomancer fulfills more than being a simple builder. It can use Abolish magic to dispell buffs,
and later can learn to summon Mud Golems. The Mud Golems act like their creep counterparts, being immune to spells and are
capable of using the Slow spell by themselves.

The Gnoll Robber acts as the basic melee unit, with the short ranged Gnoll Poacher providing some basic ranged support.
Of those two, the latter can get it's weapon range upgraded in an attempt to become less pitiful.
Two types of Centaur become available after constructing their dwelling, the Centaur Raider and Centaur Archer.
Of those two, the former acts as the capable melee combatant, with the latter fulfilling the role of a true ranged unit, both
being ofcourse fast movers.

Those units can be later on turned into stronger versions at the Elemental Grove structure, which remains at the end of the
rather short tech-tree, and for good reason. Once the Elemental Grove is built a combat unit can be selected and ordered to
be sent to the Elements, which will cause it to run to the Elemental Grove, enter it and after a short wait a better version
will be trained there. This works similar to the Sacrificial Pit structure of the undead, except it works for multiple units.

All stronger units gain a point of armor, and more base hit points. Each also has an additional ability, the Gnoll Brute can
use Bash for instance, Gnoll Assassins shoot poisoned arrows, Centaur Hornbows can use Flaming Arrows at the cost of
mana, the Centaur Marauder is an odd one that does not get any ability, instead its armor gets upgraded to Large.

Two flyers are available, the Harpy Rogue that shoots her feathers and possess true sight to reveal invisible units,
and the Harpy Storm Witch that acts as a flying magic support. The Storm Witch can initially cast the Sleep spell, and gain
Curse after first level of upgrade, Cyclone with the second level.
As all of those require a dwelling it would have been lame if the War Kennel could not train anything on its own, so they
have got given a Wolf Scout unit. This unit can be upgraded to see as far at night as it can on day.

Altar of Wilds can train one of the three fairly generic heroes for them, of those most interesting is the Centaur Sorceror,
that can use Rain of Fire, learn Swiftness Aura to boost the movement speed of units around, casts Disenchant and can
Call the Storm as ultimate, which is essentially just a re-skinned Starfall ability to be thunder and lightning themed.

The second of the heroes, Gnoll Packlord can learn to use Enraging Scream, an ability that bestows Blood Rush upon
all affected units in range. The Carrion Swarm is rather placeholderish, while Command Aura definitely belongs to him.
As ultimate has Devour Magic, that serves to replenish its health per magic buff consumed.

Kobold Master, the third hero which looks like squatted tauren chieftain, has an ability that would have best remain scrapped
as his ultimate. It can summon a Gold Mine from the ground with 2500 gold in it right after hitting level 6.
Having access to both Demolish and Bash it can learn two passives, and a Firebolt as primary which is just a
Storm Bolt reskinned to fire with the Burning Oil buff assigned instead. (which im not sure if it even works)

Attachments

• (6)BeastsGnollWood.w3x
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
Level 13
Very cool faction! I thought about creating a custom race for kobolds and gnolls but I couldn't think of any unique mechanics.

You forgot to limit the custom heroes to 1 per player. I can train multiple heroes of the same type (3 Kobold Masters)
Not sure if this is a me problem but the game crash when I select the beast race for ai players.
Update the Gnoll Robber and Centaur Raider tooltip that it has Pillage ability and can be upgraded by Elemental Grove.
You misspelled Harpy Rogue in build tooltip.
You misspelled Harpy in War Kennel description tooltip.
You misspelled Harpy in Harpy Nest description tooltip.
Gnoll is colored instead of just G in Gnoll Archer build tooltip.
You should capitalize S in Summon Mud Golem.
Perhaps change Pillage to Pickpocket that gains gold from attacking units instead of buildings to make it different from the Orc pillage ability.
Tooltip Learn missing for Gnoll Packlord ultimate ability.
Savage Tower can't use Gnoll Assassin units.
Savage Tower Stand Down tooltip description still refers to burrows. It would be nice if there are custom icons for the race Battle Stations and Stand icons. May I recommend these icons?
The duration bar for Mud Golem summoned by Kobold Geomancer says Feral Spirit. You can change this by assigning a custom buff.
It seems you forgot add Harpy Storm Witch training research.
For the Burning Oil buff it works by displaying the icon and special effect but not does not apply damage over time.
Centaur Sorceror Disenchant ability learn tooltip doesn't says how much the radius increases.
More like a opinion perhaps change Command Aura to this one?
I think it's more fitting.
I think Gnoll Brute, Gnoll Poacher and Gnoll Assassin could have different names to differentiate them from the vanilla creeps.