• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Protect Your Castle! v1.8.11

Reactions: GywGod133
Protect Your Castle! v1.8.11
by Mr.Pockets00000/ Megamax

previous versions: http://www.epicwar.com/maps/search/?go=1&n=Protect+Your+Castle&a=&c=0&pf=1&p=1&roc=1&tft=1

icrbk3.jpg

changelog now being maintained here

og9b3q.png

2mq1bt4.png

14uzxv5.png

2vrtqox.png

Players: 1 - 10
Map Size: 256 x 256 (full), 244x244 (playable)
File Size: 2.9 Mb

A fun, multiplayer/co-op map centered around a simple yet solid concept: Protecting your Castle!
--------
Choose from 9 difficulties, 6 races, and 2 game-modes!
--------
Basic Guide:
- start by chosing your race
- build infantry units and train your first hero
- enemies come from your right, plan accordingly
- pure tower-based strategies are typically inviable

Advanced Guide:
- research upgrades to improve units! (this is very important)
- bounty is based on enemy's max health. You receive more bounty as the game progresses
- Income is based on your structures, round number, and players remaining in the game. You receive income for completing a round
- keep items you want to buff your hero, and sell items you don't want for extra cash
- use your castles convert gold to wood and convert wood to gold abilities to exchange resources
- when a player dies or leaves the game, things get much harder! you will have to deal with more enemies at a time

Pro Guide:
- Gamble to receive epic power-ups and win money!
- Gambling can steal your money. Its unwise to gamble while having large amounts of money in your pocket!
- Gambling gets increasingly treacherous as you gamble more. Gamble until things start to get bad, or you may end up severely crippled or even dead!
- armor and attack types of the enemies change throughout the game. Produce a diverse army of units to counteract this.
- use unit optimization upgrade to increase unit attack speed, health, and health regeneration

Pussy (1 player), 50% dmg/hp/atksp/def
Noob (1 - 2 Players), 100% dmg/hp/atksp/def
Normal (1 - 3 Players), 125% dmg, 150% hp, 110% atksp/def
Experienced (2 - 4 Players), 150% dmg, 200% hp, 120% atksp/def
Elite (5 - 7 Players), 175% dmg, 250% hp, 130% atksp/def
Bold (6 - 8 Good Players), 200% dmg, 300% hp, 140% atksp/def
Over Confident (8 - 10 Good Players), 250% dmg, 300% hp, 150% atksp, 200% def
Suicidal (9 - 10 Excellent Players), 300% dmg, 400% hp, 160% atksp, 300% def
Satanic (???)

This game is based on a round system. Every round, you are garunteed to be spawned with roundies, and have a random chance of spawning additional enemies. These additional enemies get harder and harder as the game goes on.

The Roundies
These are the easiest of the easy to kill. They have no special powers or attributes. The only thing they have is numbers. Although, after round ten they all drain a small portion of a hero's mana upon attack.

Air Units
These are a little more tricky to kill. They require some sort of range to attack. Their power comes in surprising players who don't have sufficient anti-air and they can also bunch up pretty well to deal maximum damage to a single target.

Ghost Units
This class of enemy typically has very low health and low damage. Their power comes in surprising enemies that don't have detection, since they're invisible. They can also become very bunched up because they stack.

Teleporting Units
These guys aren't super powerful except for the fact they can teleport to their target! This class of enemy can prove to be very anoying and tricky to deal with.

Tank Units
This class of enemy has very high life and very good damage against structures. They can take a long time to kill and typically slowly but surely destroy you.

Ranged Units
This class of units is ground based, but with a ranged attack! Can prove to be treacherous especailly early game. A good counter to this class of enemies is any sort of AOE attack, especially in a missile line.

Special Units
This is a catch all for units with crazy powers! These units are very difficult, often having powers like 99% evasion or 75% chance to stun! I'll leave it up to you to find good counters for this enemy class.

Gambling is a tricky part of the game, centered around luck with a little bit of strategy. Gambling can give you epic items and rewards but also can rob you dry! Its typically a good idea to gamble when your money is already low as it has the tendency to steal your resources. Also, the more you gamble, the more you will lose!

REWARDS

- Win back your money and interest
> interest can be small or large
> can make obscene amounts of cash, depending on how much the gambling price is curently at!

- win upgrades
> attack/armor upgrades
> castle upgrades

- win items
> powerful items for hero augmentation
> some items cannot be aquired from loot!

- increase food limit

- decrease monster limit

PUNISHMENT

- lose money

- make enemies stronger

- decrease food limit

- increase enemies spawned

- loss of the ability to summon units

- new random castle!

- resource drain (-1 wood/gold per second)

- can no longer train workers

- kill all buildings/ units

- hero level reset to 1

- castle set to 1% hp (could really suck in the middle of the round!)

- loss of the ability to research upgrades!

- instant death!

Goblin Car Model by PROXY
Fling Machine Model by Gyrosphinx
Patrick Star Model by D.O.G.
Patrick Star Sounds by Nick.
The Harvester by Tr!KzZ

Ever wondered how much this game has evolved and changed since the original epicwar release? Download Version 1.0 and find out! http://www.epicwar.com/maps/193163/

All the best, and remember to PROTECT YOUR CASTLE!

Keywords:
protect, your, castle, defense, cooperative, survivor, survival, fun, action, spam, difficult, dynamic, crazy
Contents

Protect Your Castle! v1.8.11 (Map)

Reviews
19:35, 20th May 2014 Orcnet: Gameplay is really good when it comes to online playing or so, but the terrain needed some work even though it won't do any jack on the game itself, for now can be acceptable.

M

19:35, 20th May 2014
Orcnet: Gameplay is really good when it comes to online playing or so, but the terrain needed some work even though it won't do any jack on the game itself, for now can be acceptable.

Ohhhh there is some people who doesnt use B.net or Garena and instead they play it single-mode , and it would be better if it is AI supported for fast reviews.

well i could make an AI i'm sure. Not sure how good it would be but it'd do the job. We'll see what the demand ends up being. If its high enough, I'll add an AI. I recommend you play a little bit first before you decide you want an AI

and trust me with all the difficulty options you can play it with any number of players any skill level, its just getting to know what difficulty is right for you

Map Approved. :thumbs_up:

Alright man thanks for the review and approval. I've been working and tweaking and dummy testing this map for eons.

As for the terrain being improved, anyone want to terrain it? I'm not exactly great at terraining. IN-fact lets be honest, I cannot terrain worth a damn. But if anyone wants to have a go at my older/unprotected version of the map can be found here: PYC V 1.0

Level 23
Played it a little bit. So, here's a bit of a review:

Critics:

1.) Lack of Strategy
- I don't see any point at which strategy can be placed in this map. I played the Goblin race and seeing the two upgrade capabilities of the goblin droid, I just did a makeshift testudo formation with enough goblin titans and rocket droids, randomly clicked whatever was available to upgrade in the buildings I built and I lived very well. [screenshot] But I kinda died off in Round 15. That's just hell impossible even when I'm in full-time support with the alchemist and the tinker. I mean those hydras MULTIPLY you know that!?

2.) Annoying Feature
- Please don't teleport a unit that strays outside the player's region. That's really annoying. I even had a few units stuck there surrounded by a few buildings.

3.) Way too Good yet Annoying Feature
- That full heal feature after each round? It revives my units. I couldn't build new unit types because these old units just won't dies off.

4.) Object editor much?
- Abilities are object editor stuff with increased power. Also, there are abilities that do not have cooldowns? Are these intentional? If it is, then I request a nerf. Alchemist could just keep on healing my units on and on and on. And I just have to keep him supplied with mana.

5.) What's the point?
- I really don't see the point in recommending multiple players in higher difficulties if they're just going to be surviving solo? I was looking forward to something with teamplay and not some more difficult solo play.

6.) I'm Rich!! Well... What do I do now?
- Once you finish the upgrades and build everything, You don't have any more use for money except for gambling since units get revived every end of the round. :/

7.) Where did that button go?
- Whenever you upgrade stuff ingame, the icon of the upgrade disappears right? So, the other upgrade with the same button position will be moved to that section. That sir, is quite annoying. I suggest you fix that.
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=48088 said:
As raw data "UnButtonpos"
"Art- Button Position - Turn Off (X)" Determines ability button position in column when ability is autocastable (4 columns, starting from left as 0, 1, 2, 3.).

As raw data "Unbuttonpos"
"Art- Button Position - Turn Off (Y)" Determines ability button position in row when ability is autocastable (3 rows, starting from up to down as 0, 1, 2.).
NOTE: Picture from World Editor Tutorials (Credits to Darg),
uniteditor1.jpg

8.)What did I win?
- When I gamble (I hope I won't say that in real life), I usually win back my money and some interest. But I never know what I actually get. Did I win back my money and an extra 1 gold? or did I win a million gold and my money back? I suggest showing the exact details of the prize whenever you finish gambling.

9.)Hey, what's next?
- Please remove that reminder that warns the players about invisible units every damned round. Some people would assume that the next round would have invisible units. (Just like me when the game just started. Then I learned to ignore it.)

10.) I wanna cross the borders!!!!
- If you don't want units of players straying onto other people's lawn, you could just surround each player with boundaries (That black shadow thing that surrounds the map) and just make their spaces huge so that there will be place to spawn the creeps.

11.) food, Food, FOOD!
- Could you increase the maximum food limit? Or make it so that the player can increase it through some research or something? Or much better if you stop reviving my old units so that I can build new ones.

Suggestions:
1.) No man is an island!~
- I suggest promoting team play more and not make each player survive alone. Here's what I think: Make all players defend one great castle. But each have their own mini castle to defend as well. When their mini-castle dies, their buildings/units are set to neutral and invulnerable until their castle gets revived a few moments later. Whenever their castle dies, some of the Big castle's life will be taken away and thus encouraging the players to do team play and defend their own castles as well.

- They could surround this huge castle and their starting locations will be placed equally on the sides of the castle. If the player is alone, he will be randomly placed around the huge castle. If there are two players, they would be placed at opposite sides of the big castle.. etc..

2.) They're everywhere!!
- Make the creeps spawn from different directions. Imagine the castle in the middle and the creeps would just be spawned randomly around that castle from a distance. That would definitely encourage a more strategic placing of units instead of the testudo formation I did in this version.

3.) Co-op, Co-op, CO-OP
- I forgot the rest of my suggestions. Just hear me out. Focus on the team play of the game. Right now, it's like each player is playing a map in single player while he can chat with his friends or see them lose in their game.

That's all. My suggestions were erased from my memory halfway of all this text. Rated 3/5. Good map. Keep it up.

EDIT: BTW, I was playing on experienced difficulty.

@GreeN!X

A lot of fair and some good points. I feel that I may know of what button issue you're talking about but, you should put a screenshot. As for the money issue, what difficulty did you play on? Me and a friend beat the first 20 rounds on Experienced. It gets pretty insane after that once the game restarts and gets to the mid rounds again. And gambling expends extra money if you keep gambling at the end of every round when you have some spare cash. You probably played on normal or easier. I'll think of changing a few things, but this map has been in the works for a long time before it hit hive (1.7.9a isn't for free lol) and I've actually started another one. I'd be willing to go back and clean up a few things I may have missed and take in some of those suggestions but don't expect game altering changes like everyone defending one castle or team-gameplay. (Edit: lol I actually ended up doing just that!) The co-op portion of this map is you have to pick up everyone's leak, like shared creeps in winter-maul, when they die. Its kindof like wintermaul one in that way.

Edit: I heavily appreciate you testing my map and being honest. I've run it on a bot a few times on bnet and a lot of people are just trolls who join, say the game sucks in the first 30 seconds of the game, then leave. There are a few honest ones who stay some end up not liking it for its simplicity (or lack of strategy as you put it). In the end I was going for a turtle/upgrading game with some use of skills/micro (heros like the mountain king and blademaster for example do make for great micro. It's usually best to let the units take most of the heat while heros use their massively buffed AOE spells to kill hordes of enemies)

All in all, I've been planning on releasing an update where gambling gets a little better (some like you suggest with the money thing and also making bad gambling a tad more common, as its too rare how it is now in my honest opinion)

Last edited:
Level 2
Removing the music, or having an option to disable it, would be good. It's a bit of a nuisance to have to go into the option menu all the time and click the SFX on/off to stop it.

Level 2
I have to say the Goblin Race is the Best.I tried to play it with suicidal , second mode.The round of 15+ just annoyed me.My hero , tinker replaced with Doom, used the devil deal on titan also cant even hold the mobs even using 3 ships full load of goblin rockets.

I just thinking of the mobs beat able?The items drop on floor is mostly useless, so far I seen great are - claw of attack +100, the item become doom, evasion, lifesteal (useful ? ? ? (maybe use orc useful, but I dunno) The damage spell is so useless in the mid game, and also the Useful spell must be the stomp (stun) 20 sec ? but the mobs =,= manaburn until not enough mana to cast.

The Race, most weak I feel must be the Elf, the Castle attack (melee)<? and normal attack damage?And also the building needed to use to block mobs, his building can fight, make it cant use to block road for defend.

I feel is the race goblin too strong or you does not improve the 4 Base race.

Next,a bug I have found is the revive bug. I revived the 6 dead mobs with the scroll.Their does not cost food but cannot control.

Tried most hard mode , I feel only Goblin can survival.The multi shoot of rockets are so far I feel most good. Towers,castle also great, Castle (barrage) tower attack fast and decent damage.

I have to say the Goblin Race is the Best.I tried to play it with suicidal , second mode.The round of 15+ just annoyed me.My hero , tinker replaced with Doom, used the devil deal on titan also cant even hold the mobs even using 3 ships full load of goblin rockets.

I just thinking of the mobs beat able?The items drop on floor is mostly useless, so far I seen great are - claw of attack +100, the item become doom, evasion, lifesteal (useful ? ? ? (maybe use orc useful, but I dunno) The damage spell is so useless in the mid game, and also the Useful spell must be the stomp (stun) 20 sec ? but the mobs =,= manaburn until not enough mana to cast.

The Race, most weak I feel must be the Elf, the Castle attack (melee)<? and normal attack damage?And also the building needed to use to block mobs, his building can fight, make it cant use to block road for defend.

I feel is the race goblin too strong or you does not improve the 4 Base race.

Next,a bug I have found is the revive bug. I revived the 6 dead mobs with the scroll.Their does not cost food but cannot control.

Tried most hard mode , I feel only Goblin can survival.The multi shoot of rockets are so far I feel most good. Towers,castle also great, Castle (barrage) tower attack fast and decent damage.

decent review And I'll say its for the most part all true. Night Elf need major buffing all around and I've been working to upgrade them in slow increments. All I'll say is I didn't call it suicidal for no reason as to why you cannot survive (lol)

Level 2
Satanic (???)

MUST you use insults? It's such a minor thing, yet at the same time so important.

Satanic (???)

MUST you use insults? It's such a minor thing, yet at the same time so important.

its not really meant to be insulting, rather funny.

its a good game but a race or 2 have no way to see invisible as Nage wave 2 I got killed tried to build a tower for the magic sentary didn't work

With naga you have to get mymridons to see invisble units. Would you consider changing your review to a 3 star if that was your only problem that you couldn't find the detection? Thanks.