• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Protect Gaara TD

Reactions: deepstrasz
Protect Gaara Tower Defense:
Minimapcopy.png

By DarkZX (Me, DarkZX Is My B.Net Name) and MiTal

(Note: MiTal made the original beta, I contacted him for permission to edit and he accepted, therefore he has passed the map onto me)

Changes from MiTal's Original:

-Over 15 New Towers
-Added A Kick System
-Added A Tip System
-Added A Game Time Clock
-Four Songs Added
-Fixed A Leak In His Spawn System
-Added 6 New Waves
-Made Gold Miners Automatically Start Mining And Made Them Invunerable
-Added Difficulty Modes (Easy, Normal and Hard)
-Added Fancy Terrain and Weather
-Countless Balance Changes
-Added Heroes That Are Playable
-Fixed Juggling Glitches
-Fixed Glitches With Certain Waves And Changed A Wave Due To Pathing Errors With That Wave
-Slightly Readjusted Spawns
-Edited Tooltips and Fixed Grammar And Made It Legible
-Added A Loading Screen And A Minimap Image

Credits:

Ultimaa for his Naruto, Kiba, Rock Lee and A.N.B.U. Itachi Models
Demonye for his Gaara Model
Olofeman for his Japanese Cherry Tree Model
HappyTauren for his Demon Tower Model
All Respective Music Artists For Their Songs

Please Read Below For Advanced Details On The Map:

Current Version: 2.1

Explanation: Protect Gaara Tower Defense is a map that hosts up to 7 players (including the host).
In this map, its a free building map, you must build towers to protect gaara (who will, unless the host decides to move around the map which is a bad idea, be in the lower right corner of the map). You can either maze spawns, build massively powerful bomb fields, or use whatever strategy you want to protect gaara. Do not block, creeps will attack your towers if you do and it's not a fun thing.

Difficulty Modes: Easy, Medium, Hard. (Easy Is Easy, Medium Gives +5 Extra Armor To Creeps, Hard Gives +10 Extra Armor To Creeps and Gives Them An Extra Movement Speed Bonus).

Towers: In game you receive two tower builders, the basic tower builder and the advanced tower builder. The advanced tower builder hosts a good set of towers with special effects, such as the time slow tower, the nuclear tower, the despairing darkness tower and other towers as well. The basic tower set is ideally what most players start out with, it hosts 5 sets of towers, 4 of them have 10 upgrade forms and one of them has 5 upgrade forms. These, if used right can sometimes be better than the advanced towers.

Music: There are four songs currently in the game, the host can activate them by saying a command such as -track 1, or -track 4.
The songs are:
Shoot It Out by 10 Years
Hopeless by Breaking Benjamin
Ashes of the Innocent by Bullet For My Valentine
Metal Lance Theme by Fairouzens

Creeps: Creeps come out of four spawns on the map, the amount of creeps each wave varies, as of this version, there are 46 waves total, each wave gets a lot harder as the game goes on. Air levels can be extremely hard and (in quite a few games so far) can mean the end of the game, I recommend building anti-air towers so that Gaara won't die, trust me... BUILD ANTI AIR! xD

Heroes: In game you can get heroes to help you in your protection of gaara, there are several heroes to choose from, although most people like using either Naruto or ANBU Itachi. These heroes level up rather quickly even without killing enemy creeps. A hero can change the gameplay rather quickly from losing to winning.

I ACCEPT ALL IDEAS, CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, AND OTHER THINGS AS WELL.
If You Find Any Glitches, PLEASE REPORT THEM IMMEDIATELY. I left the map unprotected so if anyone wants to look inside the triggers and help me find if there are any leaks, that would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshots:

4.jpg

3.jpg

2-1.jpg

Enjoy:

Keywords:
Naruto Protect Gaara Tower Defense Hero Defense
Contents

Protect Gaara TD (Map)

Reviews
09:18, 25th Jun 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Approved Comment
Level 14
Looks nice.
But noone would join it if i hosted on bnet. Noone wants to sit in a lobby and dl a 1megabyte map with 5 megabytes of unnecessary stuff for 45min.

When I host it, people usually take around 55 seconds to a minute and a half to download it, its not that slow really
But thanks for the input, I might consider removing track #4 to save space

Level 5
When I host it, people usually take around 55 seconds to a minute and a half to download it, its not that slow really
But thanks for the input, I might consider removing track #4 to save space

I know, but to many people 1 min is a lot of time to dl a map, and on my hosts a map this size would take 3 or 4mins to dl.
And noone is really that interested in music tracks, one nice little background tune would be good rather than a host of different low quality rock music.

Level 14
I know, but to many people 1 min is a lot of time to dl a map, and on my hosts a map this size would take 3 or 4mins to dl.
And noone is really that interested in music tracks, one nice little background tune would be good rather than a host of different low quality rock music.

Jeez, I must have a fast connection, alright, I think I'll take your suggestion, I'll find an online OST song from Shippuden and create a trigger which loops it. Thanks mate! if you have any songs from the OST of shippuden or any other OST, id gladly take any suggestions :p

Level 5
Jeez, I must have a fast connection, alright, I think I'll take your suggestion, I'll find an online OST song from Shippuden and create a trigger which loops it. Thanks mate! if you have any songs from the OST of shippuden or any other OST, id gladly take any suggestions :p

:p well i dont like anime at all really so i cannot recommend it at all :p, i never intended on dling this either so.. meh

Level 14
Not really, only animes I'm into are Avatar and Soul Eater, I don't like Naruto maps. I just wanted to make sure you are the creator, since uploading stolen maps is forbidden.

Oh I see, and thats cool, Im actually a soul eater fan myself lol, and stealing maps isnt my thing, I put a lot of hard work into this map, it makes me feel good that I worked hard on it xD

@Super-Sheep: Don't knock it till ya try it mate lol

K, looked over the map:
Things I noticed:
-Your spawn trigger leaks a lot - remove the leaks via setting the point your going to create a unit at and where it's ordered to to a variable, using it then using this bit of a custom code:
call RemoveLocation(udg_YOURVARIABLESNAME)

-Those Naruto models are just awful looking and often animated horrendously - the dog guy's back feet go out on 90 degree angles to the side of him in morphed animations. Your definitely going to find better ones, or even use in game models.

-I'm surprised, your terrain is passable (at least in most areas - you at least demonstrate the ability to variate your tiles) - it's not often I see an anime map where the terrain is the same tile pasted over huge open expanses or completely constructed out of models with terrible textures. That being said it can definitely use some work, increase the doodad variation and make the ground less even (using raise and lower tools, not cliff tools). Nature isn't perfect, so your terrain shouldn't look perfect.

-Aside from Aesthetics, your terrain doesn't seem to fit a TD very well. TD's often require lanes to make a good maze, or if you choose a more open mazing type (like a spiral or something) at least clearly indicated "nodes" where the enemies go too. Also the trees placed around may end up screwing up people maze patterns.

-Your going to want custom triggered spells for your map, either your own or someone else's. The spells already in the game get boring quickly as the player is familiar with them already unless you find a particularly creative use for them.

-If your going to include custom music, reduce the filesize of the music files by either reducing the Bit rate of the Mp3 or by compressing it. Atm, they just hog up unnecessary space which makes the map so big in file size.

--------
Atm, I don't this map is ready to be accepted yet but it could be if you go through with it and try improving the various things in it.

Level 14
@Light_bolt30: thank you for the list of bbcodes, ill hide the screenshots right away

K, looked over the map:
Things I noticed:
-Your spawn trigger leaks a lot - remove the leaks via setting the point your going to create a unit at and where it's ordered to to a variable, using it then using this bit of a custom code:
call RemoveLocation(udg_YOURVARIABLESNAME)

-Those Naruto models are just awful looking and often animated horrendously - the dog guy's back feet go out on 90 degree angles to the side of him in morphed animations. Your definitely going to find better ones, or even use in game models.

-I'm surprised, your terrain is passable (at least in most areas - you at least demonstrate the ability to variate your tiles) - it's not often I see an anime map where the terrain is the same tile pasted over huge open expanses or completely constructed out of models with terrible textures. That being said it can definitely use some work, increase the doodad variation and make the ground less even (using raise and lower tools, not cliff tools). Nature isn't perfect, so your terrain shouldn't look perfect.

-Aside from Aesthetics, your terrain doesn't seem to fit a TD very well. TD's often require lanes to make a good maze, or if you choose a more open mazing type (like a spiral or something) at least clearly indicated "nodes" where the enemies go too. Also the trees placed around may end up screwing up people maze patterns.

-Your going to want custom triggered spells for your map, either your own or someone else's. The spells already in the game get boring quickly as the player is familiar with them already unless you find a particularly creative use for them.

-If your going to include custom music, reduce the filesize of the music files by either reducing the Bit rate of the Mp3 or by compressing it. Atm, they just hog up unnecessary space which makes the map so big in file size.

--------
Atm, I don't this map is ready to be accepted yet but it could be if you go through with it and try improving the various things in it.

Thank you for your review, I have two things to ask though, Im rather a bit inexperienced in triggering, could you tell me how to create the call RemoveLocation(udg_---------) trigger. Second thing I have to ask is, should I just remove the trees? a lot of people seem to not like them, and to be honest they are annoying me as well.
I think I am going to get new models to replace the old ones and add those into the game and also I think ill remove the songs and create a background looping theme
Thanks for all your help guys!

Level 14
Well about the trees, you could just remove their collision/pathing - that way they'll still be there, but you can builds things through/in them. It'll look a bit odd to see things moving through trees, but aesthetically it would look better then just an empty area.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/trigger-gui-editor-tutorials-279/basic-memory-leaks-5889/
This tutorial will help about the leaks/custom code thing

Thanks, I just removed the pathing on the trees and it works fine, and it still looks nice
and Ill check out the tutorial too, I don't want my spawn trigger leaking
thanks for all your help mate

+rep

Level 22
Review by Ironside
----------------------

Positive features:

- Terrain is good
- Has a quest menu with information

Negative features:

- Based on the rate experience is gained, you should add more spell levels
- Gaara could kill first round without help
- You should add more towers
- You should add stronger towers, the biggest cost is 20 gold

Additional Information / Conclusion:

The map could turn into a quite unique tower defence map. Good Luck.

Rating: 2.5/5 --> 3/5
Vote for:
Approved

Level 14
Review by Ironside
----------------------

Positive features:

- Terrain is good
- Has a quest menu with information

Negative features:

- Based on the rate experience is gained, you should add more spell levels
- Gaara could kill first round without help
- You should add more towers
- You should add stronger towers, the biggest cost is 20 gold

Additional Information / Conclusion:

The map could turn into a quite unique tower defence map. Good Luck.

Rating: 2.5/5 --> 3/5
Vote for:
Approved

Thanks for the review. I'll work on those things.

Level 1
Suggestion

Even I just played this Map one time, I still have few suggestion to the author:
-Be honest, this map is low quality. I want to find a Anime Map in HiveWorkShop to play ALONE. I enjoyed Naruto manga series thus I chose this Map. And the result was disappointed.
-At first, you should add more "Anime-Manga material" to the Map. Try to make creeps + towers look like ninjas. Make terrains look like villages. Anyway, Naruto does not seem work well with Tower Defend, it's more suitable with Hero Defend. However, you can try my idea: The player will buy 2 or 3 hero (Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke...). Then they will buy and upgrade tower like normal. The tower can not fire until they are acquired by a hero. Each hero has unique ability to improve the tower. For example: Naruto make tower he acquired splash damage. Each round the player only can use 2-3 towers (because they are only have 2-3 heroes) base on the spec of the next round, it's make the game more strategic.
-Add "Arena Duel" every interval of time or rounds. The ninja team protect Gara from Akatsuki like Manga.
-Make the defense more strategic and balance. Few rules you should consider are:
+No "auto-win" tower. Build and upgrade just one or two towers and player can defend whole games
+Player should build tower base on the spec of next two or three rounds. After two or three round, they might have to sell all of their current tower and build different ones.
+Selling tower at least 95% return. So they can try.
+Map, tower, round info must be transparent. You can look at YouTD at example
+You can make the all tower and all upgrading arrangeable. For example, all tower have same cost, same upgrade cost, or even same BAT. Don't make unnecessary complicated. It's very hard to balance.
-Fix UI problems like: Annoying "Gara being attacked..." text; tower very hard to click when near Gara
-Add these command:
-next: info of the next wave
-info "x": info of the wave xth
-fast: immediately boost the speed of creep until they approach defend area. Reduce the meaningless time.
For the command in games, you should look at the famous TD Map.
Because the Map is very low quality now. If you want to rewrite the Map, try to use "Agile Programming" method: Release the alpha-Map for very short cycle (two or four weeks). You just should add one or two rounds/towers/heroes... each cycle. Google for more information.
Hope that help!
I also want to say English is not my native language, and my writing skill are very poor.