• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Projectile collisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
i have a couple ideas for projectile collisions but am unable to test i am wondering if someone would like to test them and see if they work.

idea 1

giving the mine exploding ability('Amin') to projectiles. I have been testing somethings out and it doesn't seem to cause much lag(several hundred unit with this ability on one map), and it works with units who are ordered to move places(they die when they come into range) the one problem is it won't collide with the owners projectiles(its a hard coded abillity).
i think you could use that ability to trigger the damage for a projectile system.
my one concern is whether it will work with units moving at a high speed.

idea 2
using the specific unit event a unit notices a unit in range (by giving the projectiles an attack.
or using the unit within range event

idea 3
creating a rect( or region) for each projectile and moving it along with the unit, my concern here is that it won't sense when a the rect moves on top of a unit, or that it won't detect units entering via set unit y/x

Level 7
Here...

All three methods work.

thank you for taking the time to do this, but i what i meant was to test my concepts out on a full fledged 2d projectile system that involved 1000+ projectiles flying at once that could collide with each other using these methods. Besides i have already done those tests what i wanted to know is if it would work on a large scale projectile system. My goal is to get someone who can test the cpu requirements for said system i am interested in making so that games like Cruiser command, the one that Razor is working etc.. can run with thousands of projectiles.

edit: i will make my own 2d projectile system i guess.

Level 16
thx Narogog, i am really touched by your words D':

actually...........
i have a solution, but time is just unforgiving,
everytime i had time i felt bad deleting my old triggers (its very old, thats why it lags.),
it feels like i am throwing all my time that i spent on it (its very old, i take much time doing it with my skills at that moment.)
then i felt like lazing off on those times, since i barely had free time..
so i lost my motivations to finish the map...
but now...i will make sure i RE-DID Everything !
thx buddy.
now i felt motivated, i will finish the map on someday,
where there is 3 days or more holidays.

or if you could make a system before i do, i would be glad to use it :D
its simple, with a great indexing (i am using unit picks, thats why it lags) (its a very old trigger that i made at a very long time ago.),
induced with a fine quality of unit recycling, i could increase 40 missiles into 200.
thx for the motivation!

Status
Not open for further replies.