• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problems Downloading Data Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I have recently obtained the Warcraft III Battle Chest for my new computer (my OS is Vista), but I have encountered some problems. I cannot download data files off of Battlenet without running as administrator, therefore I cannot use Battlenet if I open Warcraft III with Steam. Any tips?

Level 15
Warcraft 3 writes maps to the Program Files directory, which is not technically allowed in Vista. The file virtualization system in Vista doesn't compensate for this either.

You should install Warcraft 3 in a different location, perhaps C:\Warcraft3 or something like that.

Level 4
Warcraft 3 writes maps to the Program Files directory, which is not technically allowed in Vista. The file virtualization system in Vista doesn't compensate for this either.

You should install Warcraft 3 in a different location, perhaps C:\Warcraft3 or something like that.

*Sighs*

I don't think it is worth the effort. I'll just continue to open in as administrator.

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot. +rep

Level 34

Seriously? I never knew that.

Level 15
Seriously? I never knew that.

Yes. A lot of games store their settings and extra content in your C:\users\... folder like they should, but some games still write to Program Files (such as Steam and Warcraft 3, to name a few).

Level 19
Yes. A lot of games store their settings and extra content in your C:\users\... folder like they should, but some games still write to Program Files (such as Steam and Warcraft 3, to name a few).

It worked fine with my preinstalled Vista. But ever since I reinstalled since a critical bug I've noticed a change. No application is allowed to enter C:\Program Files\... I've found my ways around it though.

Level 34
Woo, go vista.... -_-

Level 9
And to think, all of your problems would stop occuring if you turn off UAC, like any self respecting Vista user should do. That prevents that need to open as an administrator, as well as gets rid of that annoying popup.

The exchange is for security, but as long as you arent downloading random files without checking them for viruses, etc, then you should never need to care about that.

Level 19
And to think, all of your problems would stop occuring if you turn off UAC, like any self respecting Vista user should do. That prevents that need to open as an administrator, as well as gets rid of that annoying popup.

The exchange is for security, but as long as you arent downloading random files without checking them for viruses, etc, then you should never need to care about that.

Viruses have become very intelligent lately and all the security corporations are having a hard time following the stream. They can't catch up.

The best security at the moment is UAC, but the way Microsoft presented it was a total failure.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I get around this by running all programs as administrator and installing them on a separate HDD for speed. That ways the OS and system programs are on a different disc completly from my games and so the games generally load faster as there are fewer requests from that disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.