• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Problem with War3 Model Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi,

although I have been tinkering around with World Editor for quite some time now, I am a real noob at modelling. Anyway, for my current project I was trying to cut off the head of the male Villager and stick it on a Footman. Sounds easy, read tutorials. Woohoo, but when I scaled the body part to 0 in the program, I got this funky looking pointy cone with the head on top. Obviously I have missed some vital point, but cannot get it, 10 futile attempts are enough! And however much I try I can't get rid of the cone. I would be very grateful if someone here could help me! (I also had the same problem when trying to remove the footman's head).

The problem with the scaling is that it might extrude the faces connected to it. I'm guessing that rather than scaling down to the point around the neck, it might be scaling down to the center of the head (which stretches the neck/faces connected to it). Magos might have an option for that (pivot point? I don't remember exactly).

BUT, in the end it isn't really worth it. When you are doing geoset importing/removal, the scaling technique isn't that efficient. (1) You can have a problem like you have (2) It is a very similar process to vertex modification (so no real benefit) (3) You end up with a ton of vertices crunched up at one point, which is a waste of space (unless you weld them).

In my opinion, the whole process can be simplified with any model editor that will allow you to delete vertices. AFAIK magos will allow you to delete geosets, but I don't think it supports deleting individual vertices. If you are looking for a nice, free vertex editor, then I recommend either MDLVis, Matrix Eater, or Oinkerwinkle's Vertex Modifier. All you do is you select the vertices you need, and then delete them. If they are part of a particular geoset, you can just hide the other geosets and delete it like that.
See this:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/warcraft-editing-tools-277/complete-list-modding-tools-212411/
That link is the *Incomplete* Complete List of Modding Tools, and there are plenty of options in the 3D modeling section.

If you need more help, feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.