• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problem with Removing Hero Glow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I have just downloaded the warcraft 3 model editor because I want to remove hero glow from various units.

To do this, I used this guide:

"http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65900"

After I am finished, the model looks perfect while in the program. The problem is when I import it into warcraft 3.

Imported, it either has horrible graphic glitches such as the weapons using the bones or hero glow parts (Which is weird since I removed the hero glow) or it just crashes the program.

Example being: Sylvanas windrunner.

I assume this is the hero glow graphic I remove

Bitmap {
Image "",
ReplaceableId 2,
}

and this is the material I remove

Material {
Layer {
FilterMode Additive,
Alpha 4 {
Linear,
11500: 1,
13300: 0,
14733: 0,
30833: 0,
}
static TextureID 2,
}
}

I actually tried this with multiple heroes and they all either freeze or don't work right in map editor, is there some kind of trick to use?

Level 31
Ahh no, you uploaded it as a model submission.
You can upload anything you want at a new post, just click on "Edit" then "Go Advanced" then "Manage Attachments". There you can upload.

Or else, use the Pastebin, located at top of the page, next to links to Models Icons etc.

Well, what I think the problem is, is that you just removed the textures, but not the mesh that has the glow texture.
You would have to remove them either with Magos Model Editor or with Oinkerwinkle Vertex Modify.

But there's also a tutorial in Magos Model Editor included on how to remove a Glow.
Just try that way.
You can find it if you open Magos, click on Help and then Help again.

Level 2
Yeah, the tutorials don't load

None of them

Help -> Help loads a page but all it says on all the tutorials is:

Navigation to the webpage was canceled

What you can try:
Retype the address.

I assume it gets the help tutorials from online or something and a firewall I have is blocking it.

Level 31
Okay I copied you everything

Removing Team Glow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this tutorial we will remove the Team Glow from Hero models. This is useful if we want to use the Hero model as a normal unit (but without the glow).

We'll remove the Team Glow from the Paladin in this tutorial, but of course you can do it on whatever model you want. First we have to load the model into the editor. To simplify the search we'll make use of the MPQ Browser Filters to filter out anything but models.
Open up War 3 Model Editor
Open the MPQ Browser from the menu Windows -> MPQ Browser
Unselect all filters from the menu Filters -> None
Select model filters from the menu Filters -> Models
Open War3.mpq from the menu File -> War3.mpq
Find the Paladin model under Units\Human\HeroPaladin
Double-click on HeroPaladin.mdx to load it
Now that we have loaded the Paldain model we can close down the MPQ browser, we don't need it any longer (note that the MPQ is still open unil Close is selected from the menu or you exit the program. Select the Team Glow geoset by CTRL-clicking on it in the 3D view then remove it from the geoset manager.
Open the Geoset Manager from the menu Windows -> Geoset Manager
Drag the Geoset Manager window to the side so it's not in the way
Hold down CTRL and left-click on any of the Team Glows in the 3D view (they're usually the same geoset so any will do)
If successful the Team Glow geoset will be selected in the Geoset Manager
If unsuccessful try rotating the camera to get a better view
Right-click the selected geoset in the Geoset Manager
Select Remove from the popup menu
You will be asked to detach some attached bones, say Yes
The Team Glow is gone, as you can see in the 3D view. Now all you have to do is save the changes then import it into your Warcraft 3 map and see if it works.
Go to the menu File -> Save As
Select a suitable name to save the model as
IMPORTANT:
If the Geosets you remove have attached Geoset Animations you must remove these as well, or Warcraft 3 may crash. Open the Geoset Animation Manager and remove all Geoset Animations that has the Geoset ID "None".

Status
Not open for further replies.