• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Prevent unit from dying after 0 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Yes, it's me again. I feel like, the SC2 section in the hive consists of me asking questions and Dr Super Good answering.
So this one is special, couldn't find anything like that.
I want a neutral Sentry, both teams can capture the Sentry by "destroying" it, however it does not just "die".
My goal is to prevent it from dying after dropping to 0 HP and just change the ownership while going back to full HP/Shields. Right now I've temporary solved it with this:
  • Sentry Speed
    • Events
      • Unit - Any Unit is attacked
    • Local Variables
    • Conditions
      • (Triggering unit) == Celerity Sentry [61.50, 77.50]
      • ((Triggering unit) Life (Current)) <= 60.0
    • Actions
      • Unit - Change ownership of (Triggering unit) to player (Owner of (Attacking Unit)) and Change Color
      • Variable - Set Celerity Sentry = (Triggering unit)
      • Unit - Set (Triggering unit) Life to 700.0
      • Unit - Set (Triggering unit) Shields to 300.0
So, if a team attacks the Sentry, and it drops to 60hp or less, it changes the ownership, everything is working fine but that's a crappy solution
because a) I want them to bring it down to 0 HP b) If someone does more than ~60 damage in one hit in an unfortunate situation where the Sentry has 61 hp, it will just die... that's not supposed to happen. Those Sentries should be indestructible but players still have to attack to capture it.
Any Idea, Dr Super Good? :D

Last edited:
Level 9
use the campaign behavior that prevents the heroes from dying. additionally you can also add a change ownership effect that triggers on attack. you will need an validator to prevent changing the owner all the time.

if ppl would spend some reputation more ppl would answer in this forum.

Level 3
I did :) also:
additionally you can also add a change ownership effect that triggers on attack. you will need an validator to prevent changing the owner all the time.
How do validators work then? I mean, I don't want to change the ownership on the first attack, although the Unit has full hp. Only if it drops to 0 or very close to 0.

Level 18
Sentry Speed
Events
Unit - Any Unit is attacked
Local Variables
Conditions
(Triggering unit) == Celerity Sentry [61.50, 77.50]
((Triggering unit) Life (Current)) <= 60.0
Actions
Unit - Change ownership of (Triggering unit) to player (Owner of (Attacking Unit)) and Change Color
Variable - Set Celerity Sentry = (Triggering unit)
Unit - Set (Triggering unit) Life to 700.0
Unit - Set (Triggering unit) Shields to 300.0

is that sc2? it looks like war3 triggers o_O

Level 3
And again, thanks Dr Super Good. +rep.
I was kinda lazy and tired when I looked at your solution. It works in-game. Now I'll have to figure out how it works in the editor. It's obviously not just the trigger. Probably behavior/effect as well. The terran CC is obviously bugged since it's set on 0-1 hp and repeats the channeling for infinite times because it's burning down the whole time.
Not a big problem though, especially not for me.
Thanks again.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The terran CC is obviously bugged since it's set on 0-1 hp and repeats the channeling for infinite times because it's burning down the whole time.
If will stop if you throw enough SCVs at it. You could obviously make it reheal the building on conversion but that makes little sense (how can a building be burning down and suddenly rehealed?!).

The channeling is there to stop ping ponging ownership due to splash effects or damage over time.

A possible improvement would be to make the building reheal to like 33%-50% HP gradually over the channeling time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.