• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Poseidon

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
----------Pointyraccoon----------

Poseidon
Pointyraccoon
Map Info:
The Naga reside in the nearby ruined temple. Storm the temple and destroy them for very powerful items. Take the fight to your opponent past the beaches.

Features:
  • 4 Gold Mines - 1 Starting mine per player, 2 extensions.
  • 4 Green Creep Camps
  • 9 Orange Camps
  • 3 Red Camps
  • 1 Tavern
  • 2 Mercenary Camps
  • 1 Fountain of Mana
  • 2 Goblin Merchants
  • 1 Marketplace

Screenshots:

Map Overview:
249218-albums8582-picture104191.png

Change Log:

Added:
Added some variety in the mobs and hopefully "snazzed" up the land a little bit
Removed:
Removed the Fountain of Health and the prison mobs in the temple
Fixed:
Fixed some broken textures on the temple ramps and unbalanced gameplay mechanics
Changed:
Changed the drops on the Goldmine Creeps and taken the Goblin Merchant islands further out into the deep water

Author's notes:

This map is the first map I have uploaded to The Hive. I wanted to create something symmetrical and balanced for the player but visually engaging and natural looking. Any comments are much appreciated. I have tried my best to balance out the difficulty and player advantages as much as possible.

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Naga, Temple, Poseidon, Beach, Murloc, Ruins
Contents

Poseidon (Map)

Reviews
20:07, 28th Nov 2015 Shadow Fury: The melee map needs several fixes and tweaks before approval so it is rejected.

M

20:07, 28th Nov 2015
Shadow Fury: The melee map needs several fixes and tweaks before approval so it is rejected.

Level 21
-Reserved

Edit:Screenshots are broken

Edit2:First review in 69 years so it's very basic,bad,unprofessional and done fast but hopefully you can get something from it

Terrain
Nothing special or very new.Aside from a few problems,it functions and looks proper

[+]Enough space to build a decent base
[-]Terrain looks empty
[-]Some parts are 'broken'.See the screenshot bellow

WC3ScrnShot_112715_163414_01.jpg

Gameplay
Proper use of items and creeps,even though they could use some variety and it works

[+]The creeps I met in my quick play dropped appropriate items
[-]Could use some variety.Creeps are overused and similar while the second goblin observatory could be replaced with a market place

Verdict
Simple little melee,it does what it needs to but it has some problems.I will give it another closer look after it's fixed.3/5 and needs fix

Last edited:
Level 24
You could take inspiration from Budbuds, he made a really nice terrain in a similar setting.

223190-albums8541-picture103707.png

223190-albums8541-picture103510.png

You might also want to show some screenshots in the description. I have to hand it to WhiteFang though he really made a good review. Not to mention that rolling shores makes a huge difference and makes everything look way better.

Level 21
In addition to what WhiteFang and Razosh said, I have to say the following:

- Never add a Fountain of Health and a Fountain of Mana in the same place because that's too unbalanced for a melee game. You'll notice that Blizzard never created a single melee map with these two fountains together for this reason

- Don't put creeps in deep water. If I want to engage a melee battle against them, it's going to be pretty hard

- Never put guards to taverns. This hampers players from summoning a tavern hero as the first hero. Based on my multiplayer experience, several players like to start with a tavern hero, but this becomes impossible if the tavern is guarded

- Some items drops feel underpowered. Take the gold mine creeps for example. Their summed level is 18 but they only drop a scanty level 3 item. Not worth it at all!

I'm sorry but your map doesn't pass the Hive's quality standards so I have to set it to needs fix. For a melee map, you got too many critical issues that must be tweaked before an approval. You should also work on the scenery because it's very empty and it's not attractive to the eye.
Good luck!

Level 21
The terrain is still cheap. You also seem to have problems with creep camps and further issues with item drops. The camp of the tidehunters doesn't drop any item, and that's very wrong. In addition, you must not let a creep drop the same item each game (the Gold Mine creep always drops an ankh).
Also notice that the map isn't perfectly balanced. There are two mercenary camps but one is guarded by tidehunters, one by mur'guls. They are not equally strong so they create some unbalance. Same thing goes for the rest of the creep camps. Any one on the right/top should be the equivalent to the one on the left/bottom.

The map still needs many fixes. I shall reject it until proper updates are made rather than setting it to needs fix.