• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phew, okay. How can I allow a unit to move while morphing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
i would make an ability with instant effect. this effect adds a buff which is the start of any visual (morph-actors etc). the buff duration is the morph time. so when the duration runs out an effect is triggered that orders the unit to acually morph instantly into another unit. so your unit has 2 abilities but only 1 button for the dummy instant effect.
you need:
1 button for your dummy skill
2 abilities
1 buff
1 effect adding a buff
1 effect issueing to morph
1 actor with events that trigger on the buff

Level 9
sure!
each buff has a field effect - final (when the buff gets removed) or effect -expire (when the buff runs out) , in your case it doesn't matter which one is used, but you can also use the effect - final to cancel the morphing. so rather use effect - expire
your unit needs to have the morph ability! now add an effect(issue oder) which issues the unit to use this morph ability. be sure that the morph ability works.
dunno how to explain it more precise.

one thing about morphing. there is a limit of maximum abilities a unit can have. if you connect two units with morph abilities the number of abilities add up. so do not connect too many units with morph abilities (but zergs..) or to be more precise don't do with heroes.

Level 12
So, say if both units have the exact same abilities. And the morph was just for looks and stat purposes. Would they still add up, even if they are the same

Edit: Any way I can stop the morphing process interrupting the units orders?

Last edited:
Level 9
i wouldn't use morph at all if it is just about visuals, models can be swapped inside actor actions and stats can be added using veterancy or normal buffs
----
only different abilities add up.
if you do morph like i said you can interuppt morph by just removing the buff.
i don't know if a morph ability can be interupted, never tried, never needed, but a larva can also stop morphing?! or a mutalisk?!

Level 9
let's say the unit is walking to the other side of the map. now it shall morph to another unit (better stats) and stops. you want the unit to keep moving to the other side?
as far as i know this is not possible. i have had a similiar problem with replacing a unit. triggers are possible but not 100%. so whenever a unit gets a cmd the target is saved as x and y position as custom values on the unit. so when morph is finished you can order the unit to move to that position.
for some reason i haven't managed to save current orders of a unit in a variable and just re-order it after morphing.

Status
Not open for further replies.