• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Permanent buff/effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I know the basics about modifying them from creating custom abilities and such, but I can't seem to understand how it works completely.
I've tried attaching a permanent buff or effect to an ability based on chemical rage so that the model has that cool look around it for the duration of the ability, but I can't figure out which field to put it in (target, special, caster, effect...). Sometimes it works as expected, but sometimes it doesn't work at all. I know the effect is grinding because I used it in another ability, even though that one was based on the bear form, so maybe that has something to do with the problem. Is there any way to somehow tie the effect to the unit itself? It will eventually change back anyway, so it will lose it, right?

This is probably a very basic problem, but I couldn't find anything useful. I'm sorry if the answer is in a post or tutorial that was in front of me the whole time.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Do you mean you want to attach Special Effects to the unit? This can be done with many passive abilities as well as triggers. For a passive/aura, Target is almost always the source of the ability. But it's pretty obvious what to use since you can see the existing Art on the ability already.

But it's pretty random as to whether an ability can use it's Art fields or not.

Here's how you trigger it:
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of (Triggering unit) using Abilities\Spells\Other\TalkToMe\TalkToMe.mdl
Using a Unit Indexer (my preference) or Hashtable you can easily track the Special Effect and Destroy it when need be.

Last edited:
Level 3
Do you mean you want to attach Special Effects to the unit? This can be done with many passive abilities as well as triggers. For a passive/aura, Target is almost always the source of the ability. But it's pretty obvious what to use since you can see the existing Art on the ability already.

But it's pretty random as to whether an ability can use it's Art fields or not.

Here's how you trigger it:
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of (Triggering unit) using Abilities\Spells\Other\TalkToMe\TalkToMe.mdl
Using a Unit Indexer (my preference) or Hashtable you can easily track the Special Effect and Destroy it when need be.
Yes, that's what I meant. I originally thought about using auras, but I don't know how to disable them from showing, and If I want several effects on the unit I would need several auras that show, so I discarded that idea.

It's good to know that wether you can or can't use certain art fields is somewhat random, I was trying to make sense of it and was going nuts.
I don't know much about triggers, I recently just made my first few, but that one seems fairly simple, so Ill give it a go.

Thanks for the tips.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I believe some of the Item abilities can use their Art - Target fields which would be ideal since they have little to no overhead. Some people say to use Sphere but I wouldn't recommend that as it comes with unwanted effects.

You can hide any icon in the Object Editor by setting the Art - Button Positions to 0, -11. Hold shift while opening a field to allow negative values as well as bypass limits. Alternatively, you can hide an ability with triggers but that isn't really necessary most of the time.

Sundering Blades comes to mind if you can't find an Item ability that works.

Edit:

Last edited:
Level 3
I believe some of the Item abilities can use their Art - Target fields which would be ideal since they have little to no overhead. Some people say to use Sphere but I wouldn't recommend that as it comes with unwanted effects.

You can hide any icon in the Object Editor by setting the Art - Button Positions to 0, -11. Hold shift while opening a field to allow negative values as well as bypass limits. Alternatively, you can hide an ability with triggers but that isn't really necessary most of the time.

Sundering Blades comes to mind if you can't find an Item ability that works.

Edit:
I've had some trouble with Sphere in the past so I tend to avoid it. I tried hiding the icons with the 0,-11 thing, but it didn't work.

Maybe it has something to do with the version of my game. Let's say I don't own a physical copy of the game nor Warcraft Reforged :hohum:. I'm at 1.2.7something and honestly the only reason I haven't updated the game is out of fear of losing my work in custom games. Sadly that means I'm missing Sundering Blades and a lot more changes to both the game and the editor.

How easy do you think it would be for me to transfer my maps to the latest version fo the game? If it's even possible.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
The Item ability I suggested should be hidden already so it's not really an issue here.

And I can't say for certain but you could always back everything up before making the switch. The number of improvements is definitely worth the upgrade and the most recent patch is fairly stable. There's still some annoying bugs/issues that'll probably never get fixed but I think the pros far outweigh the cons.

Level 3
It should work without issue if you use something like Item Damage Bonus, it's been used since time immemorial to create attachments on units with the Art - Target section
Aaaaah, those are the ones you get with sphere items, right? Never thought of using item abilities that way, sounds so obvious now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.