• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Perfect Layering/Skinning/Colouring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, aeman.

If you're simply asking how people get good at painting, the answer is surprisingly simple; consistent practice. "Repetition is the mother of learning", there really are no shortcuts on how to do it, more than putting in the hours. Of course, guidance along the way helps a great deal, but you can't survive on that alone.

However, are there ways to improve "faster"? Not really, but learning how to practice is key. Sycra has some quick tips here:
How to Practice Drawing
Iterative Drawing - The Fastest Way to Improve
Follow-Up to Iterative Drawing

But in general, clocking in the hours is what counts. The grind sucks and it can be hard to get through it, but it pays off in the end; no one starts off as a master in their craft. The same applies to any other creative pursuit, be it sculpting, writing, music or whatever.

There are thousands of ideas out there on how to get good and I can't refer to them all in this post, but I can at least give you some YouTube links:
Sinix Design - Sinix Design's YouTube Channel
Can you learn drawing by copying? - Drawing Art Academy
How to Get Better at Drawing: 10 Things that Worked for Me - Mark Crilley
Deliberate Practice - The Secret of Getting Good Fast - Proko
Part 1, Master Studies - Noah's Art Camp

For painters I would also suggest picking up other crafts that are very similar in nature. 3D modeling, clay sculpting and architecture are just three examples that will improve your general understanding of painting.

Last edited:
Reactions: San
Status
Not open for further replies.