• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PCIe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I have a question for everyone out there who is not afraid of the inner workings of computers....

What's the difference between between a PCIe x1 and a PCIe x16 video card slot? Is there a difference? Are there different video cards for the x1 and the x16?

If anyone answers.....thanks in advance.

Level 8
Basically all cards today use the PCIex16 slot. You'd be hard pressed to find tech that uses the x1 slot, and if you did, you probably wouldn't want to buy it anyway.
So will a x16 PCIe card fit in a PCIe x1 slot, and vice versa?
If you somehow manage to fit an x16 card in an x1 slot, I feel for your mobo.

Level 8
Actually the Geforce 9 (9800 model) series planned to be released in 2-3 months time does not use PCIe *16, it uses PCIe 2.0 which is twice as fast. Next year the makers of the standard are releasing PCIe 3.0 which is 4* as fast as * 16.

Er. Well, thanks for your help....but you lost me after Geforse 9. I'm that tech illiterate.

Status
Not open for further replies.