• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Passive Abilitiess that Trigger Casting an Ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Are there any abilities that happen when a unit attacks such as Pillage, Burning Oil, and Pulverize that also trigger the event Unit Begins casting, or finishes casting, or anything like that?

And NOT spells that have auto-cast on them such as Searing Arrows or Cripple, this is not the same thing because they can be turned off.

Level 6
Dang, and no its not for a damage detection system, I have been trying to make a catapult that misses for like forever now but because there is no 'Event - A Unit Attacks' it is obscenely difficult to get the effect I want. 'A unit is attacked' doesn't work because it is attacking ground, not a unit. Tried many different combinations of triggers and dummies and variables and all sorts of things with no luck yet.

Level 6
Actually as far as I can tell getting hit by an attack ground doesn't fire the A unit is attacked unless the unit is explicitly targeted. This is all part of a much more complex trigger that I wish I could just set to event on attack because that would make my life so much easier then trying to force rig something into place that uses available events. I go into it in a lot more detail in this other thread:Other thread

Level 9
Use orb of lightning (New), and change its effect to other active abilities. (Eg: Frost Nova).
With this, you can check with "a unit starts the effect of an ability" and "ability being cast = Frost nova" and do your stuff.

Also, don't use begin casting an ability. It has a number of issues.

madmuffin, those statements of your are opinions only or practised trials? Because Attack Ground is actually a hardcoded ability which picks every unit in range and attacks it. Either way, A unit is attacked is an event I suggest not to follow. Using a damage detection system will work (and I have tested it in the past):
  • Trigger1
  • Events
    • Map Initialization
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Trigger - Add to Trigger3 <gen> the event (Unit - (Picked unit) Takes damage)
  • Trigger2
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit enters (Playable map area)
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Trigger - Add to Trigger3 <gen> the event (Unit - (Triggering unit) Takes damage)
  • Trigger3
  • Events
  • Conditions
    • Or - Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Damage source)) Equal to Demolisher
      • (Unit-type of (Damage source)) Equal to Meat Wagon
      • (Unit-type of (Damage source)) Equal to Glaive Thrower
  • Actions
    • //Actions here

Status
Not open for further replies.