• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Overhead Rank Indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm making a Medieval Europe map and found a few models on here the indicate "Rank" of units with an overhead attachment, shown here:

1st Rank by B1oodwork

However I'm having problems upgrading that "Rank" in-game and upgrading the overhead attachment when the unit goes from "Rank 1" to "Rank 2"

I first tried

Event - Unit Dies
Action - Increase Level of Ability(Rank) for (Killing Unit)

But the Overhead Rank Attachment wont change though the stats do.

Next I tried

Event - Unit Dies
Action -
If Level of Rank 1 is equal to 1
Then Remove Ability Rank 1
And Add Ability Rank 2

Which works perfectly except when the trigger adds the Ability to the unit it makes a powerup or level up effect around the unit which is really annoying when several units are gaining Rank at the same time in a battle it looks like little explosions that are distracting.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Either how to attach different overhead attachments on different levels of an ability or how to remove the powerup effect that shows on a unit when you add an ability with triggers.

THANK YOU :)

Level 8
Save the effect above the unit as a special effect, put it in a variable with the unit. And just change the effect to the level of the ability i think. Unit gets rank up (level up ability) , run it through the trigger, destroy old effect and create the one according the the level (rank) of the ability

Level 2
Thanks for the reply! Ill try this when i get home but one thing im wondering is if this would work for an entire army or units? Or would it glitch with large numbers of troops?

Level 8
if u save it right into variables (MUI) it should work flawlessly and when u dont need u remove it from the system. I suggest you look at the MUI tutorial.

EDIT: if i can ill try and make you one.
EDIT 2: Here you go. As simplest as i couldve made it. I hope it you get my explanations in there.

You have a trigger in there to add a unit to the ranking system . Add an event like Spawning the unit or when it finishes training or smth like that.

Attachments

• RankUp.w3x
    19.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Level 2
That's fantastic thank you! Unfortunately it still makes that "Powerup Effect" like you're getting a tome from an item shop everytime the rank increases :( which is unsightly when there's lots of units in a battle all ranking up at different times. Makes it look like bombs going off in a battle lol is there a way to remove that effect? Thanks again for the trigger I might still use it if I can remove the effect.

Level 7
It might be that that's part of the birth animation of the special effect you're trying to attach. Maybe try adding an action that makes the special effect play it's stand animation immediately after being attached that might override it haven't been able to test it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.