• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Overgrown_Well

So here is an overgrown well.
It is meant as a doodad and therefore no animations.

There are two shading errors on the stairs and I have no idea why. I have tried all the methods I know of to get rid of them.

Anyway. Hope you can make use of this well.

Update 1:
-Fixed the shading errors

Keywords:
Overgrown, well, abandoned, water, moss, mossy, vine, vines
Contents

Overgrown_Well (Model)

Reviews
15:04, 6th Mar 2016 HappyCockroach: It's an useful piece of scenery. One thing I'd recommend you is to avoid doing edges of mesh that aren't edges of texture also. That makes your model lose definition from certain angles, as in this screenshot. My...

M

15:04, 6th Mar 2016
HappyCockroach:
It's an useful piece of scenery. One thing I'd recommend you is to avoid doing edges of mesh that aren't edges of texture also. That makes your model lose definition from certain angles, as in this screenshot. My advice is to never depend on wc3's lighting. The model's texture should have its own.

Beutiful model, good job! I tried to make a tower in such style, but in vain)

Thanks man :)

NhazUl said:
The shading errors are because of a misplaced normal on one of the vertices of the triangle that is shaded. You can fix it easily in MdlVis, just click the face to select it and then do "reverse normals".

That's what I thought. But after thoroughly checking I was unable to find the cause. However simply smoothing did the trick, of all things...
Thanks for the heads up.

Edit:
Oh! The model has been updated. No shading errors anymore.