• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Outland missions geography

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a brief conversation on the #lore discord channel I decided to repost here my idea regarding future missions set in Outland.

I was thinking that all Outland missions in Reforged still incorrectly indicate in the loading screens that they are set in the Hellfire Peninsula, while it is well established that the Black Temple / Black Citadel / Temple of Karabor / Shadowmoon Fortress (or however do you prefer to call it) is in the east side of Shadowmoon Valley.

Beyond the possible retcon that was released at Blizzcon 2005 during The Burning Crusade's reveal, it is largely consistent with the old lore of warcraft, since Illidan after consuming the skull of Gul'Dan has also acquired his memories, and Gul'Dan was a member of the Shadowmoon Clan, which had indeed residence there and familiarity with this area and far less with Hellfire Peninsula / Tanaan.
Just look at the map in warcraft 3 and compare it with both Warcraft 2 and WoW to realize that "Hellfire Peninsula" is just misplaced there.

1639074635928.png

Furthermore there are also many clues seen in WoW that suggest that almost all the events seen in the Warcraft 3 Outland are set in the Shadowmoon Valley: while fel-orcs can be easily found in both regions, Black Temple is there, Akama's village is there and even Maiev Shadowsong is held as a prisoner there (after her defeat in the very first mission set in Outland where we have to rescue Illidan).

So it would be cool to correct this Blizzard mess and change the loading screens and would be also awesome to make a custom tileset for those missions.
Scrapping this:
1639074994016.png

To this:
1639075022272.png

Now I don't know if it is possible to change the tileset to make the Outlands we visit in-game more similar to those of that region (it should be similar, with abyss and floating rocks, but rather reddish it should be more black/gray with scattered chasms and green felfire fissures, it should fit better with the black/green style of the demon gates.

Basically changing this:
d8bd7yd-7d8ac610-68e1-4334-85a1-0a4e248f18ea.png

to this:
1639060555898-png.png

Status
Not open for further replies.