• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Outland Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Outland Defense - PvE in Blades Edge!!!

Outland Defense

Hey all! Currently designing this map, and it's going very well! What this map is about:

A large number of unique heroes to choose from defend against a never ending wave of computer controlled undead and demon units.

Set in the Blade's Edge mountains, takes advantage of Warcraft lore and puts you in the story as an ally of the Sons of Lothar, who are stranded when attacked by a nearby Forge Camp (Which may be visitable, and the demon portal there turned into a waygate to a dungeon which contains endgame items.)

Up to 4 (May be extended to 5)

Indoor locations which contain hero stores.

Max Hero level of 85. (Yes, I bought Cata. Don't eat me.)

Undead have capturable objectives that when lost prevent access to certain features, encouraging the Heroes to work together in regards to defense, shopping and hero selection.

Progress: Most of the major locations have been roughed in terrain wise, could be made prettier. Looking for a better way to pave models and I think I have it, but have yet to implement it. (The basic pathing is there, using doodads. But sadly, I cannot touch these with my triggers)

Here are some screens:

5324664950_9f2fce7dc2_m.jpg

5324059341_4ba0ab7587_m.jpg

5324059187_a87b06122b_m.jpg

5324664674_3fccc071df_m.jpg

If you want to help with the project, post here! Looking for people who can help any way they can, it's a cool map with a lot of replayability. Things that still need to be done:

Work on more Bases/Regions/Triggers for each base. Currently there are only 2.

More Heroes (In game heroes are fine, but the I made the mana regen per INT very high, so abilities like Mana Shield must be specced out. Also a fair number of Custom Heroes will be Implemented.)

Work on Wave Balancing and more Waves for longer gameplay with new Content.

WHAT I DREAM ABOUT WHEN I SLEEP BUT HAVE NO IDEA AS TO HOW TO GO ABOUT:

I really like alot of the Custom Hero Maps in Frozen Throne, a Custom Hero system would be amazing.

To sum up, all of the basic triggers are there, and it's playable, just very unfinished. I only have 5 heroes in Tavern and those are some of the Creep Heroes. So LOL. Will continue to work on this, if anyone wants to help please post!!!

Last edited:
Level 15
Hello omfgVarian!

Your idea about the defend points is pretty unique, as far as i know. Here is a few flaws you made:

#1: screenshots are small and cant be enlarged, fix this ASAP!
#2: only one type of text used, i mean that no size or color codes, what makes it look dull and not attract people.

Help from me:

#1: If you need item ideas, please visit my project development for item ideas.
#2: I can help with balancing, and unit creation
#3: Definetly dont stop creating this project, i would rep you but i repped too much for today

Level 2
Hey! Yeah, I just didn't feel that there where any good PvE maps on battle net right now, so I started tinkering and this is what I made. I have a working beta version of a differant map that has finished heroes and such. Would totaly love help on the items and shops, as I feel I want each Hall andTower to have different items for sale as well as a portmaster (Dude who can send you to any other point, as the distance between is rather long to just walk.) . Maybe recipes that require you to go from Tower to Tower?

And yeah I should make this post flashier! ><

Also I think having only 4 or 5 players makes it easier to play. Waiting for 12 people in some maps is horrifying.

Last edited:
Level 2
Hey all! Was wondering if anyone could answer a trigger question. I'm spawning Units for Player 7 (The Comp) In a region and then Using a Periodic Event trigger to keep units moving from there, as well as using a move trigger after a unit spawns.

HOWEVER....

The trigger seems to be turning off mid game. After about 5 minutes the units just begin piling up not moving in there spawn zone, lagging the game terribly and worst of all, giving the players time to breath. (-_-)** So... what do I do to keep my map moving?

NOTE: Everything else about the trigger is working. The units still spawn and old waves are still turned off as new ones come on. I'll also post this in the Trigger Help Section.

Level 2
True that, normal forum totem polls to climb. ><
Anyway just thought I'd bump this and say I continue to work on the map and it's coming along nicely. Working on making all the abilities scale to being useful up to 85.

Level 2
is tedius.... 0.O

I want nice, pretty tooltips for everything and a nice, professional quality. IDK, I like these things in a map. Just kills my brain...

Level 2
Here ya go. Unfortunatly windows 7 doesn't let me take in game screens, so I have to use an external program. So I'm sorry for that, but this shows some robust locations. The exterior of several of the buildings as well as some interiors. The reason the buildings look so empty is I havent finalized the shops and such yet and until I have the basic tech trees in I dont want to go overly decorative :goblin_boom:

The Blood Elf dude, the Bookshelf and those things are shops. The bookshelves will have recipes ><. I thought that was a cool idea.

5381998847_6c2ce97221_b.jpg

5381999041_0e3682a584_b.jpg

5382602450_908df115ef_b.jpg

5381999211_0368d656e4_b.jpg

5381999283_1161df9e40_b.jpg

5381999333_60bf3a7633_b.jpg

Haha, maybe a little too big ><

Level 2
Basicaly, the baddies spawn from the bottom of the map and travel upwards. They attack everything in their way, so as long as 1 hero can hold the passes you're good. I'm still juggling stats/waves but at this point one player should be able to hold it with a fair amount of difficulty. However the dungeon areas, special bosses and side adventures should have enough content that several players all have something to do. Also later waves will probably require multiple players, as the higher custom units can be a pain.

Level 2
Im not a terrainer. >< However from a gameplay perspective, it runs pretty well. The camera is locked on the hero, so you dont move around and see the goofy cliffs/trees and such. Im considering using black mask to help with this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.