• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Trigger] ordering abilities in a spellbook ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Thanks for reading this.

Background: I'm using a spellbook ability for the equipment system for my map. When someone uses an item it adds an ability to the spellbook that gives them info about the equipped item, and if they click on it, it will "remove" the item and put it back in inventory.

Problem: The problem I'm having is that I haven't found a way to control where in the spellbook the abilities show up. They always show up in the order they were added even if you remove them and add them again. I tried making placeholder items, removing the abilities in reverse order and putting them back in order. That took a long time, and it didn't work. Does anyone have any ideas how to control where those abilities show up in the spellbook?

Thank you!

well, sadly you cant... at least using only one spellbook I think... not sure if you utilize the multiple spellbooks with same order IDs technique though... but I think you still cannot...

I would suggest looking at The_Witcher's Equipment system though the current version is in full vJASS... anyway, instead of a spellbook it uses a dummy unit in which where you would place the ability that will show what the item does...

Level 4
Hi GhostThruster. That's a great way of doing it that I hadn't thought of. In searching for The_Witcher's inventory system, I actually came across yours first. I thought all of the systems out there were Jass, so that's very cool. I'm sure it's helping a lot of people.

Hi GhostThruster. That's a great way of doing it that I hadn't thought of. In searching for The_Witcher's inventory system, I actually came across yours first. I thought all of the systems out there were Jass, so that's very cool. I'm sure it's helping a lot of people.

though his system takes some space on the map coz its somehow an FSI... but its the best GUI one out there...

while The_Witcher's is compact...

anyway, good luck! ^^

Level 10
Does anyone have any ideas how to control where those abilities show up in the spellbook?
It seems to be somewhat possible to change the order in which abilities appear in a spellbook, but it will always be the same order for the duration of the game - you can't reorder them during a game. Refer to this thread.

Level 4
Thank you Weep! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm amazed you were able to find that info. That thread was really old.

I might still use the spellbook method. I haven't tried the dummy ability method or GhostThruster's system yet, but I'll at least try his system. I'm thinking that the spellbook system will feel more fluid to the player, so it might be worth it even if it requires more work on my part. I imagine that the downside of a spellbook system would be less spectacular graphics.

Thank you Weep! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm amazed you were able to find that info. That thread was really old.

I might still use the spellbook method. I haven't tried the dummy ability method or GhostThruster's system yet, but I'll at least try his system. I'm thinking that the spellbook system will feel more fluid to the player, so it might be worth it even if it requires more work on my part. I imagine that the downside of a spellbook system would be less spectacular graphics.

just a longer code... ^_^... you'll just need to remove/readd the abilities everytime you equip an item...

but I dont know how it can be more fluid that the other(the witcher's not Ghosts') coz they would look exactly the same, even the method for opening would be the same, it really looks like a spellbook inventory... :goblin_good_job:

Status
Not open for further replies.