• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Open for suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Anybody have any ideas that might make for a good boss battle? im making an RPG map with 13-21 boss fights (depending on how u play it) and i dont want each battle to be a replica of the previous one having the only differance being that this fight has tougher enemies. Trying to give it a lil variation ;) All ideas welcome! Thanks to all who reply!

Level 3
what type of RPG are u making? is it real time or turn based combat? I'm full of boss ideas u could use for both but it depends if its real-time or turn based.

Level 6
Try putting little events to your bosses and make event unique to each boss...for example boss A will grow seemingly large and invulnerable and throw non-following slow moving projectiles to you dat you have to dodge for one minute, then he becomes vulnerable...just like classic action/platform game bosses thingy.

Level 1
You could make it so that the boss splits into 2 when u kill it like a hydra.

You could have it spawn small weak units to attack you.

Make it lead you somewhere (like you chase it).

Level 2
Well this post took me a lil longer to put up than expected, sry about that. As for the boss types the map I am working on right now is a relatively small RPG, only four bosses.
Boss 1} Zukndaji, the Headhunter. Species: Troll. Attacks: Non-homeing projectile (standard ranged attack) and summons a troll zombie every 30 seconds which will make Zukndaji invulnerable until the zombie is killed. During the zombies life Zukndaji will spam a random of 3 spells at you until the zombie dies. Also whatever other abilities I can come up with,
Boss 2}Gurrmis & Xorm (Hunter & Pet) Gurrmis: Standard ranged and melee attacks. Xorm: Standard melee and morphs at 30% health + gains enrage. Other abilities will be added.
Boss 3} Krovath, the Slayer. Species: Green Dragonspawn. Attacks: Just standard melee with a 10 second enrage every 50 seconds. Enrage can be negated by kiteing Krovath to a poison pit in the middle of his room, you will take DOT while you are on the poison and Krovath will be stunned until the enrage wares off. This boss is not finished needs more abilities.
Final 4th Boss} Ishar Firewing. Species: Green Dragon. Attacks: STRONG Rain of Fire on your position every 30 seconds, lowers to ground level and uses a dash spell across the arena, every minute, he uses a central-stage mass damage AOE attack similar to flame strike. Before you begin fighting Ishar you must kill the eggs at the base of his tower, when you enter the room the eggs will start hatching into green dragonspawn at a rate of 3 eggs/10 seconds. Ishar will come down off his tower once all the eggs are destroyed/hatched and all the hatched units are killed. This is the only finished boss so far, still working out abilities and stuff for the rest of em, sry this post is so long and cluttered i did it kinda fast, sry. Thanks for all ideas! Merry Christmas and whatever...yay :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Boss ideas. . . ok. . .

Shadow King
The boss basicly is unkillable during the day as it basicly gains uber str(50*str that he has during the night) but only regens hp at night (to stop it healing during day)
Time flies annoyingly fast during night and slowly (ish) during the day and the ration gets more extreeme the more damaged he is starting at 50-50 and ending at 80d - 20n.
The boss has no attack what so ever but his spells are realy bad (to you not for him). The boss can not move AT ALL so he is a sitting duck

Shadow Clone - The shadow king orders your shadow to attack you and your allies. It makes an exactly identical clone that can even cast your spells but it is much worse since the shadows have twice your stats and have 100% evsion so your only hope is to evade then but luckily they strugle to move and thus gain a 75% speed penilty (50% when boss is at 25%> hp). The clones can only exist if you have a shadow so during the night they are all purged from the face of the earth.

Shadow Beam - The shadow king fires a beam of energy in the shadows causing eminse pain to your shadow which in turn to yourself. The beam hurts all units which have their shadow and can only be used during the day. There is a 7-5 sec warning of him prepairng to launch the beam and it deals 1000-1 hit kill armor ignoring damage to anyone it hits. If shadow clone has bean used on you, you do not have to worry about the beam since your shadow is not attached to you and thus if it is hit you will take no damage. If a shadow clone is hit the clone is killed instantly and the orignal gets his shadow back. The duration of the beam is 5 secs and when he is at 50%> hp he starts rotating while firing the beam. During the night he can not use the beam since the world is one big shadow and thus the bame colides as it is used with shadow.

Shadow Reaper - The Shadow King summons his shadow/soul collecting minion to reap when people least expect it. This ability summons and invoundrable (the summon can not be killed) minion during to aid the shadow king during the night to try and stop you killing him. It is his second only night time spell that he will passivly use every night. The reaper is meele and slow and if he attacks if you move out the way he will miss you but if he hits you you will recieve damage to your health (he has attack). As his master's hp are lowered he gains more attack, speed, and attack rate and at 25%> hp he starts casting a spell which he blinks behind you and triggers simulate him attacking, if you do not move out faster enough or far enough (by the time his animation is finished) you die instantly since it ignore hp completly but if it kills one person (permanitly untill revived (no ankahs)) it will never use the ability again but instead gains much more attack. Once day arrives this minion leaves back to its dark shadow lair far far away.

Shadow Clone - The Shadow King duplicates him self in a desprate attempt to stop you killing him. Creates 4 copies of the king and mixes them all with him in a cross pattern. The king uses this only during the night and when he is at 10%> hp inorder to try and save himself. Once it is cast he loses half his str untill all illusions are killed or day breaks and each illusions is an exact copy of him (NO WAY TO TELL ANY DIFFERENCE). At his last few hp if you hit him he remixes the clones making it even harder to find him.

I think this boss needs more spells but even with the current spells it would be quite good.

Level 2
Shadow King idea is awesome i might do something similar for my first boss if u dont mind. With all them abilities hed be finished in no time. :O As for some other abilities for the shadow king, im thinkin somethin like

Strength of Souls - Whenever the Shadow King kills a unit he gets a small HP, MP, attack power, and attack speed bonus. Whenever it turns day time he no longer gets bonuses from killing units and upon daybreak, he turns back to normal.

Maybe also make the boss have phases, and he only uses certain abilities depending which phase hes in. Also if hes a shadow king why not have him turn into a shade by day (invulnerable shade of course) another good ability might be

Dark Feedback/Shadow Feedback - This ability can only be used if he has cloned you or himself, the clone is instantly destroyed and he regains 80% of the cloned units current health.

As far as the phases go if you would like to use that idea then possilby something like

Phase 1: Organic - During this phase the Shadow King is just like any other unit, in fact, he IS any other unit, he is hideing in a pack of other units of the same type, you dont even know he is the shadow king until you attack him. When you attack him Phase 2 begins.

Phase 2: Shadow - Once you attack him he changes color to a darker version of himself. (To do this use the unit-replace unit trigger) He gains all the abilities you described except any of the cloneing ones, during this phase he has extreme hit point regeneration during the night and none during the day, when he reaches 40% HP Phase 3 will begin.

Phase 3: Shadow King - During this phase he will take damage over time during the day and extreme hit point regeneration during the night. Also he is now only vulnerable during the day (Whereas before he was only vulnerable during the night) and he gains all the clone abilities you described. When this phase begins he summons ten ghosts that line up in a circle around the edge of the room. Every 20 seconds he uses Strength of Souls on one random ghost to regen HP. Each ghost has 500 HP and will resurrect the boss in phase 1 if the boss dies. All ghosts should be destroyed before you kill the boss. Once all the ghosts are dead, the boss will enrage for +30% attack speed and also gains,

Call Spirits - Summons 3 ghosts who will spam AOE spells at the enemy, these ghosts cannot be killed or destroyed with Strength of Souls, Once he uses this spell once, he will then spam it every 30 seconds at a rate of 1 ghost/cast.

When he gets down to 10% health a green ghost will spawn at the entrance of the room. This ghost has VERY low movement speed and will heal the boss to 100% health if the ghost gets within collision range with the boss. If the boss is healed this way he will remain in phase 3 unless the player(s) is dead (dies)

I know i made this thread with help for some of my own bosses but i couldt resist making some suggestions. Again the shadow king is a great idea, lemme know if i could use it in my map. Thanks :}

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The shadow king is meant to be a simple boss with predictiable spells but NOT EASY to live from spells (You die fast if you are not carefull)
He has no attack so he basicly is a sitting duck but his abilites own you fast.
His shadow clone would clone you (MAKE AN EXACT COPY OF YOU) which would have twice your stats and all your spells (including ultimates) so even if you could attack it with normal (had no evasion spell) you sill would have the shorter straw.
During the day he is meant to be stronger but not invinciable just realy hard to damage.
At night the reaper is there to stop you inflecting major damage to him because it is realy strong and no hero (but tanks) is meant to survive 2-3 hits from it and the reaper ability would mean literly doom to ohne player I there is lag in which case most remaing heroes will die in 1-2 hits.

The Illusions are to annoy you (badly) since not only is there the reaper but you have a 1 in 4 chance of damaging the right illusion so although they have only half his orignal endurance it equivently multiplyes his remaining hp by 4 and when he starts to move when he is hit it means you might have hit the right one last time but now that is the wrong one there or was it the wrong one there all the time? His shadow beam is mega strong and considering when he is weak it one hit kills you and day times are longer than night times well. . . he might even be too strong although he has no actual attack.
Thats why he has to be hitable at day since at the end most of the time it is day so although he takes minimal damage he can still die.

He also is desinged that if you die in the battle you are stuck outside it untill everyone has died in the battle in which case you must re do the boss from max hp (again).
He is also desinged for a small boss battle area (at most 6-7 farms wide) so in large areas you might easily give him many spells with long range or random effects but since this is the first boss I think things like the shadow beam should not 1 hit kill people when he is weak and also note that the power of shadow clones is based on the strength of the attacking heroes so if you make a rigged hero he will be invinciable because he will just clone it and double its power.

As for his modle. . . I recomend some kind of gem with a large shadow since it neads a modle inorder to be targeted easily.
His modle at night would change to a shade.

The shadow clone modles are thoughs of the hero but coloured black.

Also make sure it is easyish to do if it is the first or so boss since nothing is more annoying than first bosses that are stronger than second or third ones.

Level 2
True, first bosses that are the strongest boss of the map are no fun at all...I may switch the whole shadow king to a 2nd to last boss. Good idea as far as the model file goes

I think you should have it be this at night: he can move at night; semi fast and you can only hurt him with spells and hes set to a high tansperency.
or more simply: Hes almost invisible at night and you can only hit him with spells [set him to have random movement] please note: THIS WOULD MAKE FOR A HARD BOSS BECAUSE HE STILL CASTS THE SPELLS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.