• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Odd issue when playing animations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi.

I found an extremely odd issue when I tried to play the animations of some destructables. I have 4 gates (all of them the same destructable), and they have a "Stand" animation for opening and a "Stand - Alternate" animation for closing.
OK, I use this simple trigger:

• Animations
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 1.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Animation - Play Castle Gate 0025 <gen>'s stand animation
      • Animation - Play Castle Gate 0042 <gen>'s stand animation
      • Animation - Play Castle Gate 0111 <gen>'s stand animation
      • Animation - Play Castle Gate 6931 <gen>'s stand animation
The final result is something like this:

Gate 1: Open
Gate 2: Open
Gate 3: Closed
Gate 4: Closed

I don't get it. I'm telling them to play the same animation, but the result is not the same on all of them. Some of them open, some of them close, and this seems to happen randomly.
Someone knows why is this happening? There aren't any other triggers affecting these gates.

Regards

Level 12
why didn't you use this instead ?

• Destructible - Open Demonic Gate (Horizontal) 0004 <gen>
  • Destructible - Close Demonic Gate (Horizontal) 0004 <gen>
and if you really want to use animation, then link us to the model so we could test it too.

Note : if you're using animation, then the pathing wouldn't be changed, your unit still couldn't walk through the gate and need a lot more work to make it walkable.

Level 16
If memory serves me right, using the;

causes the gate to be registered as destroyed or killed. This could conflict with events like:

• Events
  • Destructible - A Destructible Dies

Level 12
If memory serves me right, using the;

causes the gate to be registered as destroyed or killed. This could conflict with events like:

• Events
  • Destructible - A Destructible Dies

yeah, you're right, but if he only wants it to open and close, it shouldn't be a problem. unless he's using this too

• Destructible - Destroy Demonic Gate (Horizontal) 0004 <gen>
or monsters destroy the gates (the gate is vulnerable).

Level 9
O.K., I tried using the "Destructible - Open/Close/Destroy Gate" action, because I just want the gates to be open. This trigger:

• Animations
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructable - Open Castle Gate 0025 <gen>
      • Destructable - Open Castle Gate 0042 <gen>
      • Destructable - Open Castle Gate 0111 <gen>
      • Destructable - Open Castle Gate 6931 <gen>
And here you have screenshots of the result (basicly, the same I had before):
cap01y.jpg

cap02m.jpg

cap03.jpg

cap04.jpg

As you see, some of the door are open, some of them are closed.
Really, I don't understand it. Any more ideas?

Note: The gate model is in the UTM. It's the "war3mapimported\castle gate.mdx" model.

Regards

Level 12
What path? The path to import the model?
Just "war3mapImported\castle gate.mdx", like almost every model.

Regards

weird, i couldn't import them, nevermind, i got it from UTM.

210329-albums5809-picture61759.jpg

it worked for me.

let's try this :
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in (Playable map area) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Destructible-type of (Picked destructible)) Equal to Castle Gate
            • Then - Actions
              • Animation - Play (Picked destructible)'s stand animation
            • Else - Actions

Level 9
weird, i couldn't import them, nevermind, i got it from UTM.

210329-albums5809-picture61759.jpg

it worked for me.

let's try this :
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in (Playable map area) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Destructible-type of (Picked destructible)) Equal to Castle Gate
            • Then - Actions
              • Animation - Play (Picked destructible)'s stand animation
            • Else - Actions

That didn't worked either.
I attached the map, so you can check the problem. I suppose that this will tell us if the problem it's with the map or with me.
There's a big city at the center of the map. There are three gates that work as entrances to the city, and a fourth one at the entrance of the castle. At the beggining all of them should be open. However, I get what seems to be random results...

Regards

Attachments

• Map.w3x
    5.8 MB · Views: 48
Level 12
That didn't worked either.
I attached the map, so you can check the problem. I suppose that this will tell us if the problem it's with the map or with me.
There's a big city at the center of the map. There are three gates that work as entrances to the city, and a fourth one at the entrance of the castle. At the beggining all of them should be open. However, I get what seems to be random results...

Regards

:vw_wtf: yes, sometimes 2 gates opened 2 gates closed, and then 3 gates opened 1 gate closed, and so on :vw_death:. nevertheless i still could enter the closed gate.

this is really frustrating, i doubt there's something wrong with the map. maybe you should find another gate model :goblin_boom:

because both animations are called STAND... you can open it in magos and change the animation name of one of them... but that might cause more problems... basically wc3 uses the fact that the model is dead or not to play the right animation automatically (without triggers), while if you use triggers, wc3 won't filter it out anymore so since both the open and closed versions are called STAND, they can both be played when you call a stand animation... but I believe the one that is played as open has an animation tag of either death or alternate, if it has then you can first add a required animation name to play the right STAND anim

Level 9
because both animations are called STAND... you can open it in magos and change the animation name of one of them... but that might cause more problems... basically wc3 uses the fact that the model is dead or not to play the right animation automatically (without triggers), while if you use triggers, wc3 won't filter it out anymore so since both the open and closed versions are called STAND, they can both be played when you call a stand animation... but I believe the one that is played as open has an animation tag of either death or alternate, if it has then you can first add a required animation name to play the right STAND anim

Mmm... I think I'll try to change the animation names, and see what I get. However, I don't know how to do it. Do you know where could I find a good tutorial to do it in Magos?

Regards

Level 12

but, if it doesn't work with animation, doing an Open Destructible(GateCastle) should work, no ?

Level 12
O.K., I tried using the "Destructible - Open/Close/Destroy Gate" action, because I just want the gates to be open. This trigger:

• Animations
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructable - Open Castle Gate 0025 <gen>
      • Destructable - Open Castle Gate 0042 <gen>
      • Destructable - Open Castle Gate 0111 <gen>
      • Destructable - Open Castle Gate 6931 <gen>
And here you have screenshots of the result (basicly, the same I had before):
cap01y.jpg

cap02m.jpg

cap03.jpg

cap04.jpg

As you see, some of the door are open, some of them are closed.
Really, I don't understand it. Any more ideas?

Note: The gate model is in the UTM. It's the "war3mapimported\castle gate.mdx" model.

Regards

he had done that, but he had had the same problem.

and he had said that the need to kill and revive the gate to open and close it doesn't really matter for him since he just want it to be opened at the beginning of the game.

Level 12
weird... maybe he has some other trigger running that closes the gates...

NarGalloth said:
There aren't any other triggers affecting these gates.

unfortunately, he had said so. he had sent me the map too, and i had checked whether any triggers affect those gates, but he just only made 1 trigger on trigger editor. any other possible causing of this problem ? shall he remake his map ? :p

Note : I'm just trying to explain what problem he had, because he had long reply delay. :p

Level 9
Inorder to conserve system resources, WarCraft III will clip animations to only actors near the client point of view. This means that animations are local and may not always play or play when expected.

In other words (if I understand you correctly), Warcraft III will only play animations when there's a player near them, or something like that?
Well, I noticed that sometimes I order a unit or a destructible to play an animation, but that animation is not really played until I move the camera to the proximities of that unit/destructible. Is this what you mean?

However, my problem here is not when the animation plays, it's what animation plays...

weird... maybe he has some other trigger running that closes the gates...

Well, the map is attached in one of my previous posts. If you want, you can go and check it.
I have to clarify one thing: that map is just a part of the original map. I mean, I removed every other trigger before uploading the map. The results, however, are the same, it doesn't matter if the map has other triggers or not.

unfortunately, he had said so. he had sent me the map too, and i had checked whether any triggers affect those gates, but he just only made 1 trigger on trigger editor. any other possible causing of this problem ? shall he remake his map ? :p

Note : I'm just trying to explain what problem he had, because he had long reply delay. :p

I could really be a pain if I had to remake the map...
The most weird thing is that it seems to work for you, but it doesn't work for me. However, the models are the same.
:eekani:

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.