1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Not again! Rpg-Terrain

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by Solaris, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Solaris

Solaris

Resources:
    Resources:
    Allright this is going to be my first official map, I made a lot before but never posted one... I´ve played a lot of rpg-maps, either they were nice looking with a lack of gameplay or they were ugly designed with nice gameplay or at least nice looking spells. So i thought i could try to create a good looking playable terrain. First of all I made some terrain, wich is still not done and I really need some critics and hints...

Attached Files:

2. NinjasDontFight

NinjasDontFight

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think RPG maps are suppose to have better gameplay rather than nicer looking terrain, and it still bothers me that you should try to catch our hearts with the weird angles instead of a normal gamer's point of view (birds eye)

Maps a bit small I suppose, and the terrain looks like hills.

3. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    -Floating trees in the first picture
    -I would say remove the tide looking doodads in the water, they don't seem to correspond with the flow of the water
    -The waterfall in the third pic would be much more impressive if you had a better view of it. Also the water emits a particle at the bottom of it which doesn't look good when you string together a bunch for a waterfall - I would say try editing the model in magos to remove that part for the middle waterfalls. Also the background here is completely empty - fill it up.
    -I like the fourth pic - not much there but nothing to complain about
    -Same thing with the 5th

Hey, if you can get some of these angles in game for maximum cinematic effect then go for it, it'll be interesting to see the results.

4. Solaris

Solaris

Resources:
    Resources:
    THX for the quick reply...

I truly agree that a good gameplay is very important, but I believe both is possible. I will add some screenshots without weird angles...

@WherewolfTherewolf thanks for the advices, I must admit water stuff is not really my thing - but I´ll fix the things you mentioned. Concerning the backround actually I´m working on it. I´m still experimenting with the terrain so the shots I´ve made sometimes seem to be a little empty.

5. Razosh

Razosh

Resources:
    Resources:
    the most important things in an ORPG is that the terrain looks extremly good and that it´s fun to play. But you´ve really done great job with the terrain :)

But if I were you I should really remove the doodads from the water.

6. Solaris

Solaris

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok I´ve made some changes and uploaded the reworked pictures, I also added the cliffs from the Highres-Pack (Blizz-Cliffs sucks anyway). Got not so much time at the moment, but I´ll keep you posted...

Attached Files:

7. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    If your going to include images like that in the first picture you may want to increase the FarZ a bit more then you already have.

8. N.Knight

N.Knight

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Nice terrain, I can see your hard work. But the concepts been tried and tested.

9. Solaris

Solaris

Resources:
    Resources:
    Time to move

Thanks all for supporting and commenting my pics... But as I was terraining, a basic idea for what kind of Rpg im going to make comes up. It´ll be something like a Druids Tale and guess what it´ll be about - druids. So I had to move to another thread soon. :gg:

Last pics I´ve made so far...

Attached Files: