• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

noob needs some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I am a noob in map making, can I ask something?
1. how to make a turn-based warcraft 3 map?
2. how to make a spell deals stat based damage? (ex : 10x agility, etc.)

can you show me the right triggers/scripts?
thanks for your help

Level 10
1. This would be an extensive project that I really wouldn't reccomend for someone who is new to the editor, programming, or game design in general.

Regardless however, you would likely need to do the following:

- pause or switch the team of non-active units
- make non-active units invulnerable and turn off their ms
- use either dialog boxes or abilities to create a player selection
- do some serious freaking cinematic work to make it look good

2. It really depends on the spell, but lets say you want to make the death knight's death coil spell deal 150% of his strength in damage. First set the damage dealt by the death coil to 0 (obviously) and then use this trigger:

• Death Coil
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Death Coil
    • Actions
      • Unit - Cause (Triggering unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing (1.50 x (Real((Strength of (Triggering unit) (Include bonuses))))) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal

Level 2
thanks for the informations.
so, I can make a warcraft 3 turn-based map, but it needs a REALLY HARD work, isn't it?

thanks for the trigger! I've waste some of my time to seek out THAT trigger. Again, thanks a lot!

Level 19
Yes, you are able to make a warcraft 3 turn-based combat system. I've done it a few times, different ones.

A system like this may be very simple or very complicated, depending on what kind of turn-based combat you want to have.

The most complicated thing I think is, with a system like this, is the AI (the computers intelligence). How you should trigger them to react and so on.

But when you know the basics you'll be able to create a system like this, you'll just have to think in the right way ;)

The first thing you should think of is HOW will the turn-based combat be like?

How shall the player select what to do? With arrow-keys? With abilities? It's a few choices (I don't recommend a dialog).
Is it a single player map or multiplayer map?
If multiplayer, shall the players be able to fight eachother?
Or maybe team up against enemies?
How many maximum enemies can you fight at each time? Unlimited?
Will the player control more than one character in the fights?
Will each unit make an option after eachother or will they have a "refresh-timer"?

Well, it's alot of things, but goodluck :)

Level 2
okay, I've try. Here is my plans (my progress is so SLOW! too many things to do!) :
1. I'll make a agility based turn, so player with most agility will get his turns first. I think a leaderboard could help here.
@flood :
1. each player will combat using their ability
2. its a multiplayer map, each player HAVE TO fight with another player. Its 5 v 5 game!
3. its 5 v 5 battle
4. for now, I think a player can only control one unit, their hero.

thanks!

BUT, can I ask you how to limit a unit movement range?
ex. : in one turn, a unit can move ONLY 800 range. or less

another question :
can I limit the equipments a unit can equip?
ex. : a unit can carry UP TO 1 helmet, 1 armor, 1/2 weapon/s (depends on abilities), and 1/2 accessory

Status
Not open for further replies.