• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

New Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
So the time came to me once again and it looks like my two 512mb ram cant handle everything as i want it too...

I want to buy new one ,but i dunno which one i should go D:

I'll just post my comp here and hope someone will help :p

Graphics : Nvidia GT 9500
Processor : Intel Core 2 CPU
Ram : 2x 512mb
OS : XP (i am kinda thinking about 7 ,but i won't switch to it anytime soon anyway)

Cost limit : around 50 Euro :/

Need anything more?

Last edited:
Level 13
did i mentioned that i have XP? i did? then why are you suggesting 12 GB ram? :D (and btw , its computer for gaming and not a NASA computer :p)

what exacly means "pretty cheap" ? (well i have a limit...its not low ,but there is one...)

Level 22
I bought three of those and it costed me 700NOK I think, which is 123 USD.
I also found a similar one "OCZ Gold DDR3 1600MHz 4GB KIT", but it costs 900NOK (158 USD). It's faster (the other one is at 1333MHz) and it's 1GB more, but it costs 200NOK more which is 35 USD more.

You shouldn't go for the 4GB kit unless you get a 64-bit OS.

It would be a good idea to search newegg. They have great deals on basically everything and if I recall correctly, I bought gb of ram there for like 25 dollars. But before you upgrade your computer you should really think if it's worth it. If you plan on getting any of the newer games (Starcraft 2 =P) and your computer is fairly old then it may be time to save up for a new one.

If you keep trying to upgrade you're computer to keep up with the latest games you will fall behind shortly.
Your computer can only be upgrade to a certain point.

Anyways, I hope I helped.

Level 13
It would be a good idea to search newegg. They have great deals on basically everything and if I recall correctly, I bought gb of ram there for like 25 dollars. But before you upgrade your computer you should really think if it's worth it. If you plan on getting any of the newer games (Starcraft 2 =P) and your computer is fairly old then it may be time to save up for a new one.

If you keep trying to upgrade you're computer to keep up with the latest games you will fall behind shortly.
Your computer can only be upgrade to a certain point.

Anyways, I hope I helped.

I have like 5 empty slots in my comp , and i can launch almost anything ;P (yep even crysis on high detail >.>)
and my cousin (he is working in computer company for few years and he was working in few school comp systems for about 5 years) said that definitely i CAN upgrade it for about 2 years more....

And Thanks ^^

Level 22
See, this is why you don't take advice from people who aren't good with computer hardware.

Which so far is everybody but me, Gillies, Supergood (to some extent), and Ghan

Add to my list if you like :p
There are more than just those people, and it's impossible to give good advice without knowing more about his mobo. I just came with a possibility and I also said it was DDR3 so he would know that.

Level 15
Never assume people are as smart as you until you confirm they are, always explain it to them like they were a child the first time, it makes you sound like a douche, sure, but it is the best way for them to get what they need.

And think about it, who the hell would have a C2D with only 1gb of DDR3?

It doesn't add up, DDR3 with C2D takes an X38/48, and those boards are routinely $200+

If he spent that much money for just a motherboard, I think he could spend $120 (at the time) for 4gb of DDR3

Not to even mention the fact that no one even makes a 512mb stick of DDR3

I rest my case

Edit: I also like how you recommended an i7 ram kit.

Level 15
But what you recommended is actually harmful

Imagine if he put the DDR3 in his computer, guess what would happen? Puff of blue smoke I think. Bye Bye motherboard, it might even take out the CPU and GPU at the same time.

Note: some newer boards have built in checks for DDR3, his probably is not one of those.

And really, who is batshit insane enough to buy a single gig stick, I have heard of 2gb but never 1.

Level 15
Ah... Try to get something from Corsair, OCZ, Patriot, Crucial, or Kingston
PNY, Mushkin, PQi, Supertalent, and Geil are decent.
Stay away from Adata and Wintec.

If you see a Rendition, those are a Crucial sub-brand, pretty good lowcost

Also, check your speed, and make sure you get the same speed RAM.

Best way to check is BIOS or CPU-Z's Memory Tab

Status
Not open for further replies.