• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help with triggers for my map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I know i'm a noob so don't judge me...so i've played around with WE alot and have made a few uncompleted maps due to a number of reasons, the main one being that i'm shit at triggers and when i look at it i go WTF is all this, so if you can help me then i would be very grateful. These are the things that i need help with.

1. How do i remove the automatic townhall/tree of life etc.. from appearing on my maps when i start the game. So that players can control units without having to build.

2. How do i fix the time of day so that it's always nighttime

3. How do i create a weather effect so that it is always raining.

4. How do i create a timer that makes a player automatically lose when the time is up.

5. How do i make units keep coming off the maps sides.

Level 35
1. How do i remove the automatic townhall/tree of life etc.. from appearing on my maps when i start the game. So that players can control units without having to build.

Simply delete the melee trigger which is in the map from the beginning (create starting units for all players)
Actually just always delete all of those melee triggers which is in map from the beginning (unless of course you want some of the effects they have)

2. How do i fix the time of day so that it's always nighttime

Delete the melee trigger which set time (use melee time of day)
then find the action trigger which begins with the title like this
  • Game - Set the time of day to 0.00
3. How do i create a weather effect so that it is always raining.

Make a region and then chose a weater setting for it by selecting it and pressing enter

4. How do i create a timer that makes a player automatically lose when the time is up.

Do this

• Timer Start
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.50 seconds
    • Conditions
      • None unless you want it
    • Actions
      • Countdown Timer - Create a timer window for (Last created timer (use a variable if you need more then one)) with the title Time to lose
      • Countdown Timer - Show (Last created timer window)
      • Countdown Timer - Start (Last created timer) as a One-shot timer that will expire in (how many seconds you want) seconds

Then create a trigger like this

• Timer Checker
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.05 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
      • (Remaining time for (Last started timer)) Less then or equal to 0.00
    • Actions
      • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Game - Defeat (Picked player) with the message: Defeat!)
5. How do i make units keep coming off the maps sides.

Not really sure what you mean... Do you mean how to spawn units from all sides of the map or do you mean how to make new creeps or..?

Level 7
spawn units from all sides or some sides of the map and make them attack player units

when i test the map the rain does not appear

Level 17
3. You can also create a weather effect through trigger:

Use the action create a weather effect and than make an action enable last created weaher effect.

5. If you mean that they will spawn from all sides from the map, you'll have several options:

1. Make a dummy unit which creates a dummy pocket factory which automatically creates units (be through to change the duration to max and even you will want it to recast it for each hour).
2. Use as event every blabla seconds and as action create units.
3. This is tricky but you can do more with it: use the same system as warchasers uses. I reccommend you if you want to use this, base your map of the warchasers one.

Level 35
[K40$]-Spectre;963529 said:
3. You can also create a weather effect through trigger:

Use the action create a weather effect and than make an action enable last created weaher effect.

The region set weather works just fine, and is a better choice unless he wants the weather to change, all though your correct, he would need to create the weather effects first.

redragex - You need to make the region cover all the area you want rain in, else go to Scenario -> Map Options -> Use Global Weather -> select the rain you want.

1. Make a dummy unit which creates a dummy pocket factory which automatically creates units (be through to change the duration to max and even you will want it to recast it for each hour).
A very complicated way of doing it, and would only allow one type of unit, unless he creates a whole bunch of dummy units. Not adviceable

2. Use as event every blabla seconds and as action create units.

He would also have to add a condition else the map will crash

It should be written like this:

• Spawn Trigger
    • Events
      • Time - Every 60.00 second of game
    • Conditions
      • (Number of (Units in (Playable map area) owned by Player 12 (Brown))) or whoever should be the owner of them) Less then or equal to 10.00 (or something, according to how many units you want in game at the same time, should be less then 250 units.)
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Something for Player 12 (Brown) at (Random point in (spawn region or maybe just playable area)) facing Default building facing degress

You might want to make more then one unit or unit type at the same time, then just copy and paste the action trigger.

3. This is tricky but you can do more with it: use the same system as warchasers uses. I reccommend you if you want to use this, base your map of the warchasers one.

I won't recommend that, as you won't know if his map is even similar to this, and it would add a lot of unwanted triggers and similar which he would have to understand. I would highly recommend using the number 2 suggestion.

Anyway hope this cleared up the questions.

btw: [K40$]-Spectre I don't disagree with you, but remember your talking to a beginner.

Level 17
The second is the best one for beginners but I only show him some more options. Cause the advantage of the first one is that you won't have any lag (maybe you don't have any lag in option 2, I don't know that).
redragex, I reccommend you choose the second one and add the condition RED BARON said. You also might wanna use if/then/else and use us the condition "math random number" and make a little difference between the "than" actions and the "else" actions.

Level 35
weather effects still do not show up. it shows in WE but not in the game when i try it

Then the trouble is with your comp, not the game it seems. Try out jarephs suggestion, all though you have to have a real bad grafic card for that to be the case. If in doubt try letting other test it on their comps to see if rain is still missing.

Last edited:
Level 17
weather effects still do not show up. it shows in WE but not in the game when i try it
Then the trouble is with your comp, not the game it seems. TRy out jarephs suggestion, all though you have to have a real bad grafic card for that to be the case. If in doubt try letting other test it on their comps to see if rain is still missing.
, maybe you should also check if you put your triggers in the right position (just to be sure :wink:) and maybe a wait trigger between them helps.

Level 7
jareph your right. i changed the video options to high and the rain showed up. lol thanks guys and 2 more things, how do i make the night time cycle move slowly, so most parts of the game is played at night and what is the darkest sky that i can get so that the game is set in a dark rainy day.

Level 11
go to Advance > gameplay constant > Time > Time - Real Sec per Game day
default is 480 seconds a day,
set it higher so the time i go slower in game.

Time - Dawn - The time when morning, set it lower so the morning time could be more short
Time - Dusk - The time when night, set it higher so u can have a longer night time.

and i think the sky the player won't see it at a normal camera view
(i never see a sky in game, other than in Screen shot on WE =.=)

better make a fade filter (in trigger > cinematic > fade filter)
but there got some bug that is when u press ALT key or mouse over unit to show the life bar, the life bar get wrong position....
but it sometime useful too

Level 7
thanks, and how do i make different teams allied with certain other teams? And when you play 1 player you control all the teams of that force, when you play multiplayer then players get to choose which team they want to control in that force? it may all sound confusing but any suggestions?

Level 11
there are a trigger that can set allies.
go to trigger editor > action > player - set Alliance
  • Player - Make Player 1 (Red) treat Player 2 (Blue) as an Ally with shared vision
Important*
e.g.
if you set player 1 treat player 2 as an ally, but player 2 isn't treat player 1 as ally.
so you have to set back player 2 treat player 1 as an ally.

so u can make an event like map initial
with some condition like
Integer Comparison
  • (Number of players in (All players)) Equal to 1
Player Slot Comparison
  • (Player 1 (Red) slot status) Equal to Is playing
to set when u want it to ally.

Level 7
how do i make a computer team enter a region and go straight for the enemy after a certain time has elapsed.

Level 35
make an event that checks for units entering region, add a condition to check if they belong to the correct player, add a wait, then order them to attack move or target the enemy.

• Attack Thingy
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters (region Blah)
    • Conditions
      • Triggering unit is owned by player (blah)
    • Actions
      • Unit - Issue order targeting point, unit, whatever.
btw: This is only the basics of it, but hope you get it. Else I can write the whole thing - and more accurately.

Level 7
can you make that with a timer, like after a certain time has elapsed then those triggers apply? and (i know this is off-topic but) is it possible to protect my maps and how?

Level 35
can you make that with a timer, like after a certain time has elapsed then those triggers apply?

Yes sure you can, you would just have to add a wait trigger or add the entering units to a variable, which will allow you to refind them and order them to move with a timer expire event.

Tell if you need the triggers.

and (i know this is off-topic but) is it possible to protect my maps and how?

Yes it is, I wont recommend doing so as people then can't learn from your map, but I have done so myself from time to time in order to decrease size.

In order to protect a map you use a program, how effective that program is depends on what method it is using, some protections is very easily broken, but will protect you map from being edited by noobs and similar.

I would recommend using vextorians map protector. But I believe you can also find a map protector in hive's tools, dunno which of the programs that are in there though.

Last edited:
Level 17
and (i know this is off-topic but) is it possible to protect my maps and how?
, I won't recommend you it and why would you do it? All of my maps are unprotected and I've never seen my maps stolen (some of them have some pretty neat things:D). And, if you do, make backups! Many people forget that and when they try to open it, it won't work. Deprotect programs don't work so good. I think you shouldn't protect maps as red baron already gave a good explination, give people the chance to learn new things and improve their skills.

Level 7
Yes sure you can, you would just have to add a wait trigger or add the entering units to a variable, which will allow you to refind them and order them to move with a timer expire event.

Tell if you need the triggers

please i would love the triggers, this stuff is confusing me

Level 7
so i'm making a Helms deep map even though there's tons, and i'm trying to make the wall blowing up scene. I have successfully blown up the bridge which is planted with explosives by getting a beserker unit to the barrel of explosives but the path is not walkable after the bridge has been blown. The bridge descends into the grown but units cannot walk through but have to walk around. Please help me!!! :)

EDIT: OK, all these triggers and shit is messin with me and i'm pretty crap at understanding them all so i'd like to recruit a triggerer to help me with my Helms deep map, they will get a share out of the credits and i will rep if they could help me.

Last edited:
Level 35
so i'm making a Helms deep map even though there's tons, and i'm trying to make the wall blowing up scene. I have successfully blown up the bridge which is planted with explosives by getting a beserker unit to the barrel of explosives but the path is not walkable after the bridge has been blown. The bridge descends into the grown but units cannot walk through but have to walk around. Please help me!!! :)

EDIT: OK, all these triggers and shit is messin with me and i'm pretty crap at understanding them all so i'd like to recruit a triggerer to help me with my Helms deep map, they will get a share out of the credits and i will rep if they could help me.

Tell me if you want my help... I just finished my exam in math so got some freetime. Btw: In the rush to study I completly forgot to make that trigger map. Anyway just sent me a mail if interrested, then I give you msn so we can quicly fix things up :wink: Note that I am mostly a GUI triggerer.

Status
Not open for further replies.