• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help with parabola equation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi.

I need help with the equation of a parabola, for a jump in one of my cinematics.
I need the jump to have a maximum height of H, in the middle of the trayectory. The traveled distance, a known value called D.
I just don't know how to set the equation of a parabola that meets these conditions.

I can make the rest of the jump by myself, I only need help with the equation.
Thanks in advance.

Regards

Level 9
Heh, damn...
After reading the tutorial HappyTauren posted, I fully understood the deduction of the function. Sigh, I found myself a bit idiot right now, I've done more difficult things in my life...

y = (4*H/D)*x*(-x/D + 1)

Supprised you could not do this yourself. Just transform a simple y = -x^2 + 1.

Yep, you're right. I should know how to face this by my own. Maybe I was just tired, I don't know.

I am saddened to inform you that people usually do not know any math functions, and it is a minority that do.

In my case, he's right.
I've already played around with spiral and hyperbolic functions, which I consider more complicated than a parabola... In this case, I should be able to deduce the equation by myself. I just don't know why, but I got stuck with this...
Well, I suppose that everyone has bad moments. :(

Anyway, thank you all for your support. The problem is now more than solved.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.