• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Need help on Game Caches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hi all, long time no see

I am currently making a game engine (for a project yet to be revealed :p) where i need to be able to remove and restore units from the map.

Basically the player (1 player RPG) can have in excess of 400 heroes; however due to the ammount of creeps, npcs and destructibles etc not all of these can be on the map at the same time. Thus i have created the basics of a 'box' system (similar to pokemon for those who remember) to store/restore heroes.

After some experimentation with a very long, complicated string system (where all of the data about a hero was stored as one long string) instead i decided that Game Caches might be better.

Which bring me to the point:
Is it possible to store a unit in the game cache, 'remove' the hero from the map, and then restore the unit from the game cache upon trigger function, ALL IN THE SAME MAP?
And if so, how so?

Thankyou for all help, Bort

Status
Not open for further replies.