• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help extracting vanilla assets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi all ;]
I'm getting started in wc3 modding, and want to extract some vanilla models in order to edit them in blender. I already have the plugins, but I can't figure out how to extract vanilla models/textures - I did google, and on this forum I found a post that said I need to use the import manager, but I couldn't figure out how.
All other links seemed to be dead or irrelevant (don't you just love it when google takes your search for warcraft 3 and takes you to a wow fansite?)
Also, what is a good polycount for wc3 models? My pc should be able to handle higher poly counts, but I don't know the engine, and sometimes they get unstable when you increase above vanilla level detail.
Thanks for reading, and it's awesome to still find an active community for this game. Your site rocks.

Level 17
Use this program to browse through the mpq files. RoC art assets are stored within war3.mpq, Frozen Throne has War3x.mpq.

Ideally 600-800 polies are fine for units, heroes should stay around 800-1200, but really don't you worry about that, the engine can handle more. On the other hand it does not handle well an excessive use of particle emitters, that cripples the framerate and even crash the game at times.

Attachments

• s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 114
Level 1
Thank you, that worked :)
The blender scripts don't seem to be quite working though - they referenced another script that looks like it should be phyton default (import html) and couldn't find it.... Does anyone know any importers/exporters for blender 2.94 and phyton 2.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.