• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My New First Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello all!

This is my first terrain, so i would like to know what you think.

I tried to upload it through attachments, but it would turn an error :confused:

Level 28
Thats not bad.

You are exactly like me, but one year ago, lol.
Your terrain is good, but it is a bit noob. Here are some hints:

1) I noticed you know making cliffs with the raise tool, and place the rock tile on it. But there is a problem: Some hills are not all covered with the rock tile. Only a bit of them are. So, add the tile at all the hill. And don't forget to add pathing blockers at the sides, or the players will be able to walk through to mountain, and that is not cool =].

2) You added the trees on the rocks. And they don't grow on rocks!

3)Hint for those who use the default trees: Some of them, are placed too small. And thats strange. So, increase their size to 120x120x120, and it will be better.

4) Don't add many doodads at the paths. Add them near the paths, to make cleat that... "that is a path". You got the idea =]

Thats it! Keep terrainning! And see how people like Craka_J and HappyTauren terrain! It will help you a lot!

Level 2
Thank you for your advice!

I'll train more at terraining then.
By the way: i've seen Craka_J and HappyTauren's terraining.Awsome ( i dont think ill get that good )

Level 34
You haven't seen MadseN's? IMO he is head and shoulders above both Craka_J and HT. Not that they aren't amazing, he is just that good. There are others that aren't around anymore. Look in the gallery section, Correx was amazing as well. Over at wc3c, bur is another amazing terrainer. I suggest you look at some of theirs too.

This is pretty good. I have used Blizzrad Trees in a bunch of my terrains, but not anymore. They just aren't worth it. They degrade terrain a whole lot. Try imported ones, or just use the UTM found here.

Level 25
Thank you for the compliment BloodKael. I'm always pleased to hear that my work is appreciated. :smile:

Your terrain is pretty good, especially for a first terrain. You have good height variation, fog is good and the background in the fog is nice too. You even have decent tile variation which is suprising. Though you placed environmental doodads, I think that there should be more and perhaps a couple less trees as well.

Very good work for a first try. :smile:

~Craka_J

Level 36
1) I noticed you know making cliffs with the raise tool, and place the rock tile on it. But there is a problem: Some hills are not all covered with the rock tile. Only a bit of them are. So, add the tile at all the hill.

In most cases it looks better if some grassy patches have been left, but only on the less steep parts.

2) You added the trees on the rocks. And they don't grow on rocks!

Yes they do.

3)Hint for those who use the default trees: Some of them, are placed too small. And thats strange. So, increase their size to 120x120x120, and it will be better.

Then it will be uneven. Just make the minimum size 1.2 and max 1.4 or something.

IMO the camera angle isn't really good, and yeah the WC3 trees look bad. Try using the ultimate terrain map (it's here on this forum just search it)
Otherwise, for a first terrain, it's really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.