• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My First Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Well... This is my first terrain I tried to create good. I don't know what it is, maybe a Swamp or something. Well, I just want some comments on what you think about my terrain :)

Attachments

• Swamp1.jpg
    Swamp1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Swamp2.jpg
    Swamp2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 194
  • Swamp3.jpg
    Swamp3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 151
Level 5
I generally don't know what I'm talking about, but to me it looks like the objects in the foreground are far too predominant, and basically block the view of everything else. And really those doodads aren't very pretty to look at, especially when up so close. So yeah essentially all I can see are a couple big ugly doodads blocking everything.

At the same time I really like how the background turned out in #1 for some reason, even though its just a bunch of trees. Unlike in the other two I can actually see something. The houses in the back of #3 actually look nice sitting in their little niche created by the foreground.

I might add a few more small mushrooms in the first screen, since right now it's just like BAM! Three random giant glowing blue mushrooms that look out of place and draw the focus onto themselves and their awkward looking-ness... word? doubt it... Also it looks like there are several doodad groupings running horizontally along the screen, except for the far left corner, which looks empty and consequentially funny to me.

I like the grass spam o_O but those big objects in the foreground just dwarf everything else and draw away from the other elements.

The first one is decent, I don't mind the second one, at second glance. But unless I focus entirely on that one element of the third one I dislike it. Again it's just my opinion and I don't know what I'm talking about... Good job though keep working on it. You're only going to get better... Unless you don't take anything away from your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.