• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Campaign Idea: The Barren Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello everyone!

I am just starting to use the World Editor, and I would like to hear some opinions on my idea for a campaign.

I wanted to create my own race for a campaign, and started browsing through models looking for ideas. The only problem with this is that there are very, very few flying models that come with the World Editor. Basically, you have the flying units that come with each race, the Naga Couatl, different dragons, and Harpies.

Well, seeing the Harpies and other Barrens units gave me an idea. My first race, the race that would be used for the campaign, would be an alliance of different races from the Barrens. And so started the Barren Alliance. (A better name will probably be given to it eventually.)

The second problem that came up for me was balancing. I was making a Hero from scratch a few weeks ago, and was having problems balancing him for playing. The problems I had with just a Hero would be multiplied ten-fold with making a whole race from scratch.

This brought me to my next idea. Basically, I am calling it Race Reskinning. The Barren Alliance will be a reskinning of the Orc race. They will have equivalent units, abilities, and possibly Heroes. They will play similarly (or the same) to the Orcs. I may rename abilities, and I may switch around where units are built from, but the race will play a lot like the Orcs.

The race, so far, consists of Harpies, Quillboars, Centaurs, and some of the beasts of the Barrens (Thunder Lizards and Wildkin).

I plan on making a full campaign based on this idea; you will fight not only normal Orc, Night Elf, Human, and Undead enemies, but also other custom races that are just reskins of those races.

What do you think? Do any of you have any thoughts on my idea, or anything to add? I'd love to hear your opinions on this.

Thorlis

PS: Also, any pointers towards campaigns that have successfully done custom races would be appreciated.

Level 1
Oh man, you're right!

I accidentally clicked "Introduce Yourself" instead of "Start New Thread"! Is there any way to move this to the Idea Workshop?

Level 1
Heh, thanks for the welcome. I did repost this at the Idea Factory. I feel like such a newbie, hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.