• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] My Abandoned Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
A long time ago--when dinosaurs were alive--I was working on a custom campaign. I did not like the end result so I scrapped the project. Most of it is done, but it's unacceptable according to the website's Map Submission Rules. I have decided to upload it here, maybe someone can benefit from the triggers or point out my mistakes through observation to learn map making.
full

full

1) For patches 1.26/1.27 or older move the campaign into your Warcraft III/Campaigns folder.
2) For later patches move the campaign into your My Documents/Warcraft 3/Campaigns folder.
3) Play the campaign!

NOTICE - A campaign, made by me, with the same name got approved recently. The names are same but the campaigns are different.

I am no longer developing the campaign but feel free to post any bugs; suggestions and tips!

Attachments

• Legacy Crown of Quel'Thalas.w3n
    5.7 MB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Level 9
Ah i see, fair enough so what are your plans for this campaign?
This campaign is abandoned by me because it's based on the wrong foundation. It has a lot of childish stuff.
I have published it here so that other map makers can learn through observation. People such as tuzec who like to collect custom campaigns will also find this campaign useful.
Also, I believe that a very small group of people may enjoy it.
Map Development Section is perhaps the only option as this campaign was in development when I 'abandoned' it.

Level 20
It might sound weird coming from someone who never released any of his projects, because he didn't think they were good enough, but...

I've taken a look at your campaign. Haven't played it, but looked at terrain and some triggers - and from what I've seen, it definetely looks like a fairly "beginner" level project. I don't mean it in any personal way, but I can see why it wasn't approved and why you abandoned it.

I think the best approach to a project like this is the one that you've already taken - abandon it and start from scratch. If you were to finish this campaign, you'd likely have to remake most of your terrain, triggers and custom object data. In practice, it would require almost the same amount of work as starting a new project.

The main difference is that if you're working with an already existing set of maps, you have two choices - are you scrap all of it and basically start fresh or you try to "fix" what's already there, which can often be quite tedious and time consuming, especially if the base project had detailed terrain or rich triggering.

The take away here is... it's good to test your project as you go and if after finishing a couple of maps you come to a conclusion that your work is fundamentally flawed and doesn't meet your quality standards, there's absolutely nothing wrong in taking a step back and starting anew, using what you've learned to do better.

Just... if you're a perfectionist like me, be careful as you might fall into scope creep and endless redesign loop, which will make you never actually finish anything :D

Level 9
I've taken a look at your campaign. Haven't played it, but looked at terrain and some triggers - and from what I've seen, it definetely looks like a fairly "beginner" level project..
I agree that's why I had to abandon the project and start a new one. The terrain lacked cliffs, lakes, and doodads while the triggers were chaotic especially because of the lack of efficiency eg at one point I did not use 'Unit Groups' to play the ghouls' animations.
Just... if you're a perfectionist like me, be careful as you might fall into scope creep and endless redesign loop, which will make you never actually finish anything :D
Thanks for the advice. I will only consider scrapping projects if all other methods fail. If unfortunately, I ever have to scrap a project in the future then I will make sure that maps, triggers, and data from the scrapped project are reused in the newer project when necessary. This will allow me to develop the project faster and hopefully finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.