• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I need some advice on a free good music editor...

I've made a piece before long ago, but I didn't actually use musical instruments, I used sounds from pocket tanks weapon data files... So it sounded pretty silly.

I need some advice on what is a good music maker. (and yes I am musical so it can have scoring involved)

So any ideas?

Level 6
There isn't many good free ones..

I recommend getting a trial of a few programs such as FL Studio, Cubase, Propellerhead Reason.

There are free trackers (music software), but that's only if you wish to make chiptune and nothing else really.

Level 4
Though you need to download some instruments from the internet (either as vst plugins or sf2 addons, depending on the software).

Well, that's not fully right. You can manipulate waveform of different lengths (MilkyTracker wise) to create your own samples (reference picture). Of course twiddling with it to produce wanted sound could be a hard task to do especially when no previous experience is present. So using already pre-recorded .wave file is actually a better idea for new-comers when they know what their track should sound like, instead of making a chopstick-marble collage.

The "professional" moneytised alternative to these tracker-type programs is Reaktor. Handful of features and versatility (check the link if you haven't yet done so) come at a high buck, so I would simply advise to try out the free demo version of this classy all-in-one suite.

Well heres a MIDI editer, which of course sounds ok for video games but doesn't sound that realistic (unless you have some godly sound card)

http://www.yoyogames.com/resources/browse/5

Its the resource called "Virtual Piano".

If you want to get into recording real music I'd suggest Pro Tools (that is if you have 300 $ to spare, anything music related is insanely priced). I know "Real" is suggested for virtual instruments but Pro Tools has just started releasing virtual instruments which sound pretty good with their normal systems for free.

http://www.digidesign.com/

But yeah, theres little free for music creation

And about the downloading thing, with Psycle if you use the sampler you can pretty much turn any sound into an instrument. The nice thing about Psycle is that it allows you to use your Keyboard as an MIDI controller instead of having to go out and buy a special one just for it.

If you any ways have a USB cable for like a guitar and your sound card doesnt completely suck you could always get "Audacity" which is latency free (BIG +, you have no idea how annoying latency can be recording) though it is a pain that you have to start a new track everytime you start recording (I suggest cut/pasting the parts) and is completely free to use

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.