1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Music Editor

Discussion in 'Sound / Music Art' started by memzak, Nov 25, 2009.

1. memzak

memzak

Resources:
    Resources:
    I need some advice on a free good music editor...

I've made a piece before long ago, but I didn't actually use musical instruments, I used sounds from pocket tanks weapon data files... So it sounded pretty silly.

I need some advice on what is a good music maker. (and yes I am musical so it can have scoring involved)

So any ideas?

2. DudeSpirit

DudeSpirit

Resources:
    Resources:
    There isn't many good free ones..

I recommend getting a trial of a few programs such as FL Studio, Cubase, Propellerhead Reason.

There are free trackers (music software), but that's only if you wish to make chiptune and nothing else really.

3. Kuhneghetz

Kuhneghetz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The only free music making softwares I know of that supports any instrument are...

Psycle
    MadTracker II
    ModPlug
    MilkyTracker

Though you need to download some instruments from the internet (either as vst plugins or sf2 addons, depending on the software).

4. FreshMobster

FreshMobster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, that's not fully right. You can manipulate waveform of different lengths (MilkyTracker wise) to create your own samples (reference picture). Of course twiddling with it to produce wanted sound could be a hard task to do especially when no previous experience is present. So using already pre-recorded .wave file is actually a better idea for new-comers when they know what their track should sound like, instead of making a chopstick-marble collage.

The "professional" moneytised alternative to these tracker-type programs is Reaktor. Handful of features and versatility (check the link if you haven't yet done so) come at a high buck, so I would simply advise to try out the free demo version of this classy all-in-one suite.

5. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well heres a MIDI editer, which of course sounds ok for video games but doesn't sound that realistic (unless you have some godly sound card)

http://www.yoyogames.com/resources/browse/5

Its the resource called "Virtual Piano".

If you want to get into recording real music I'd suggest Pro Tools (that is if you have 300 $ to spare, anything music related is insanely priced). I know "Real" is suggested for virtual instruments but Pro Tools has just started releasing virtual instruments which sound pretty good with their normal systems for free.

http://www.digidesign.com/

But yeah, theres little free for music creation

And about the downloading thing, with Psycle if you use the sampler you can pretty much turn any sound into an instrument. The nice thing about Psycle is that it allows you to use your Keyboard as an MIDI controller instead of having to go out and buy a special one just for it.

If you any ways have a USB cable for like a guitar and your sound card doesnt completely suck you could always get "Audacity" which is latency free (BIG +, you have no idea how annoying latency can be recording) though it is a pain that you have to start a new track everytime you start recording (I suggest cut/pasting the parts) and is completely free to use

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/