• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Multi-map Campaign vs Single map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I just have to ask this. I really am not sure myself.

I am currently planning on a huge SRPG. There's going to be a huge assortment of hero class and monsters and each has a huge variety of skills.

Now, I'm not quite sure which is better. A multi-mapped campaign (like the bonus campaign) with each map containing some of the units and spells or a single map that contains every single custom thing?

Level 23
I just have to ask this. I really am not sure myself.

I am currently planning on a huge SRPG. There's going to be a huge assortment of hero class and monsters and each has a huge variety of skills.

Now, I'm not quite sure which is better. A multi-mapped campaign (like the bonus campaign) with each map containing some of the units and spells or a single map that contains every single custom thing?

Goes without saying the reason why people use single maps is because the other option is not multiplayer compatible.
Since youre using a single player setup then it affects you much less.

Do note in a single map however
- You will not be able to use different blizzard cliff types
- Tileset selection will be more limited, even with overrides.
- You are stuck with a set water-day/night preset.
- Map size even with overrides cant compare to a multimap campaign.

Ultimately youre scope of the campaign is what should decide.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
As a player I think I would prefer a single map since it can be confusing to find my way to certain zone in a multi map campaign.

However as map developer I would go for the multimap, no doubt.

why?

because there wont be 100 triggers in the map. But rather 10 per mini-map. Excluding the genetic ones. Same with imports, the model/texture list becomes enormous in a single map.

Level 23
Yeah, but would the loading be fine with the multimap campaign? I was thinking the loading time for each map would take some time, especially because there would be at least a hundred customs that I'll be adding to each map.

The probability of a long loading time is really bothering me. xD

Thing is, we have no idea what the scope (playable area) of your project is.
If it is small, then its mostly a no brainer to use 1 map.
But we don't, so we can only guess which is will be better in your case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.