• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Moving a unit anywhere with the use of an ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys, Ive been trying to create a simple "Move Unit" kind of spell.

I am making a practice map where you control one unit (Sheep) and two units (Shepherds) are chasing you around and you block with the buildings you make via hotkeys on build.

Well since this is a practice map, I want to be able to move the shepherd anywhere I want for Practice (Both mapmaking and game skills) with the use of my Sheep... But so far the trigger is only moving my Sheep not the shepherd.

And I should mention the ability I made originated from the spell "Blink" so this might be why its only moving the triggering unit.

Heres my trigger:

• Move shep
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Move Shepherd
    • Actions
      • Unit - Move (Random unit from (Units of type Shepherd)) instantly to (Target point of issued order)
And is there a way to also make an ability available to enemy units? For example you select an enemy and it has an ability you can use

I uploaded my map to further understand whats wrong (If necessary)

Attachments

• Map.w3x
    71.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Level 33
Change the Events to Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability

Why do want it to be random ? Why not just use (Triggering unit)

Change from (Target point of issued order) to (Target point of ability being cast)

Furthermore, you base the spell from Blink, well, the spell initially blinks the unit to the target location, and you trigger it, making the action redundant, you can always change the base spell though, making it un-redundant (repeating twice the actions is not useful)

EDIT:
So you want those Shepherd to move it too, I see.
Well, just follow what I had not delete yet

Level 2
Why do want it to be random ? Why not just use (Triggering unit)

I wanted a unit-type of a shepherd to be moved. The triggering unit is the Sheep which is sort of like the blink ability.

Furthermore, you base the spell from Blink, well, the spell initially blinks the unit to the target location, and you trigger it, making the action redundant, you can always change the base spell though, making it un-redundant (repeating twice the actions is not useful)

I got the trigger to work, I see what you mean. Everytime I use the spell, the spell moves BOTH my sheep and a random Shepherd to the
same location (Target point of issued order)

I thought any ability that has a trigger disables that ability's default actions.

• Move shep
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Move Shepherd
    • Actions
      • Unit - Move (Random unit from (Units of type Shepherd)) instantly to (Target point of ability being cast)

Last edited:
Level 2
Yes, the trigger works now, I based the ability off Shockwave.
I did remove the shockwave effect on it but I get this rippling effect on it which I can learn to live with.

But is there any way to add an ability button on an enemy unit? It would be useful

Level 2
Yes I want to order it via triggers, Id like to be able to use an ability on an enemy unit if this is possible.

To make this more clear:
You select an enemy unit, and you can use blink in it.
Normally, if you select an enemy unit, there no button on it, but on this case, I want a button on an enemy unit I can use.

Sorry I cant find a way to explain this but if you understand then great

Level 33
Well, just add the ability to that Shepherd via Object Editor and order it via Trigger Editor
1 more thing, your statement is indeed a paradox

Why should you control that unit if that unit is your enemy... ?
It's total nonsense you know.

Level 11
If you only want it for testing purposes, you can just give shared unit control.

• Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player - For Player 2 (Blue), turn Shared units On toward Player 1 (Red)

Status
Not open for further replies.