• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

More questions about fogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I'm creating a first person hide and seek horror game and i added this this trigger functions
  • Custom script: call SetDayNightModels("", "")
  • Environment - Set sky to None
  • Environment - Create at (Playable map area) the weather effect Rays Of Light
  • Environment - Create at (Entire map) the weather effect Dungeon White Fog (Heavy)
  • Environment - Set fog to style Linear, z-start 0.00, z-end 8000.00, density 100000.00 and color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%)
The general idea here is to create a dark/scary environment, which i already have.. but when i try to add the fog.. im having a lot of problems.. what im trying to do here is to create a fog or mist which only extends to the height of the unit's feet, but it extended more than what its supposed to making the black sky visible since its black and the gray fog extends too much height. so i guessed that z-end is the height so i change it to 100 which ended up turning all to white.. so im at lost now.

additional questions:

1. any possible way to recreate this fog/mist thing with a model with a good animation?
2. any more ideas to help me make the map a lot more scarier?

Level 9
nhocklanhox6. btw, by using model do you mean Unit, how?
because i don't think I'll be able to use animation using model as texture.
thanks for the reply to my additional questions
1. Good idea, i think I'll add a background music then a condition that change the music to a faster tone when the player who hunts down other player (enemy player) is near
2. The terrain is already complete
3. A ghost? ... im thinking... banshee or ghost model with a high transparency?
4. What do you mean by a picture?
5. This is what im trying to ask here. lol.
6. Its a hide and seek game.. then naturally there is a player which would hunt down other players
7. I already have one.. "Dungeon White Fog (Heavy)"

also.. the main problem here is that how to create a fog or mist which only extends to the height of the unit's feet. i think it has something to do with the z-start and z-end.. which i have no idea..

I mean: Another fog texture or try to using a picture and combine that with fog (Red fog), setting z-start to 0.00 and z-end to 999999., density to 0.00 or whatever you want, download a picture from any website, change size to 512x512 and convert it to blp, then you go to trigger find this line: Cinematic - Fade filter... and..well i don't remember the agrument, bc i'm using moble :p, i think you can do the next step, when you using cinematic, you must enable Game UI to allow game show tooltip and other. I'll show you the line: Enable Game UI later, sorry :(

EDIT:
Here:
  • Cinematic - Fade out and back in over 2.00 seconds using texture White Mask and color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) with 0.00% transparency
or you can use this too :), but it's advance.
  • Cinematic - Apply a filter over 2.00 seconds using Normal blending on texture White Mask, starting with color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) and 100.00% transparency and ending with color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) and 0.00% transparency
Add this when use cinematic (Below that line)
call EnableUserUI( true )

Make sure your picture transparent a little :D.

Last edited:
Level 9
I see.. do you think its a good idea to filter it around every 5-10 sec? i think it will scare the player since they cannot see whats going on over every 2 sec. but there's a possibility for them to get irritated once in a while.

more questions about fog.. is it possible to have 2 fogs?

Level 9
I see. thanks for all the help. +rep

with your help i have made the map a little more scarier
1. added music
2. added filter
3. wandering ghost is set. but still not sure if i'll implement but if not, i'll replace it with a black soul (Shade unit with 100% transparency leaving only the unit effects)

you have done enough, but if however if still wish to help with the main problem...

(1st fog, white fog) what is the z start and z end to set the fog only in unit feet.
(2nd fog, black fog) what is the z start and z end to set the fog from above the first fog.

Level 9
Hera. the picture is nice.. i think i want my map to look more like that but what do you mean by using fog models? import file then use it as a unit? i don't want it to look messy like randomly placing units all over my map that would make some areas with thicker fogs.

Level 23
Download the models I attached and use it as a doodad (They're WoW rips though but just try it out). It's only depends on how you placed the fog so It should look great especially if you change the scaling to 1.00 - 3.00 to make it really random.

Attachments

• Fog_Animated.mdx
    8.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Fog_Unanimated.mdx
    3.9 KB · Views: 50
  • hfjord_fog_01.alpha.blp
    22.4 KB · Views: 45
Status
Not open for further replies.