• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model Stretching if convert from MDL to MDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I ripped some models from Heroes 7, and when i save them in mdl with NeoDex in 3dsmax 2017, they look perfect, but have a quite big file size. So, when i try to convert in to mdx the animation starts strethcing out. I meet that error before, but don't remember how i did fixed that. (probably remained in mdl?) So, my guess the error in the coordinates. In the MDL they are written like this:

300: { 1.52588e-05, -0.000371933, -0.000863075 },
InTan { 0.000152588, -0.00148392, 4.00543e-05 },
OutTan { 0.000152588, -0.00148392, 4.00543e-05 },

There is "e-05" used, however, when it recomplited to MDX, the information about those coordinates like "e-05" are losen and it becomes like zeros or +1.

So, anyone know how to save model in MDX without steching animations.

Hope i explained the problem correctly.

BGNEAf4xFSs.jpg

weeS4UR2kRg.jpg

You already know how to fix the issue, but the problem is the original MDX spec can't handle more than 255 Vertex Groups.
Ok, i will know. But my model have just about 7-10 geosets and it works fine, without streching. Currently only issue is the exporting model and saving it in MDX, because, as it turned out, the NeoDex plugin broking bones hierarchy as hell, and Blender plugin by Fingolfin is not ideal too, but that appear only on very hard models, maybe those plugins not for those... But anyways, currently that is a really problem, and seems like i need to restore bones hierarchy by hand...

Helped a dude with a the same problem by creating this program:
Bone Parent Transferring/Copying Tool | HIVE
You could use the bone parenting from the model exported from blender (if the bones keeps their names) for the hierarchy in a model exported with NeoDex.
Hi! Sounds interesting, i will take a look to this, will update if works for me. Thanks anyways!

UPD1: Hm, how exactly i should use that? Because i see it's compiled JavaScript? Just never experianced with such earlier. So would you please explain a litttle bit more how to properly use that?

Just never experianced with such earlier.

I can see it's a java program. Probably install latest java and from what I would see, everything should be setup so it's double-clickable after get the *.jar out of the *.zip
Get latest java from: AdoptOpenJDK
Other than that, I can only guess that you have 1 model with the correct bone setup and one model that have F-ed bone hirarchy it will copy from one to the other...

I can see it's a java program. Probably install latest java and from what I would see, everything should be setup so it's double-clickable after get the *.jar out of the *.zip
Get latest java from: AdoptOpenJDK
Other than that, I can only guess that you have 1 model with the correct bone setup and one model that have F-ed bone hirarchy it will copy from one to the other...
Helped a dude with a the same problem by creating this program:
Bone Parent Transferring/Copying Tool | HIVE
You could use the bone parenting from the model exported from blender (if the bones keeps their names) for the hierarchy in a model exported with NeoDex.

So, i've actually installed JDK from here https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase-jdk15-downloads.html

But, seems like this tool just copy all information from one file to other one...

The vertexes that wrongly attached after Blender, still wronly attached after this script, and even normals are the same, and the animations are linear and not hermite as they was in model that was saved by NeoDex... Maybe, i am just slander on this and it's me doing something wrong... Can i get explanation for that?

Level 10
So, i've actually installed JDK from here https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase-jdk15-downloads.html

But, seems like this tool just copy all information from one file to other one...

The vertexes that wrongly attached after Blender, still wronly attached after this script, and even normals are the same, and the animations are linear and not hermite as they was in model that was saved by NeoDex... Maybe, i am just slander on this and it's me doing something wrong... Can i get explanation for that?
The tool only copies/replaces the parent id's.

If I remember correctly the the original problem I helped solve was something about NeoDex not handling IK animations in combination with translation of bones in an animated IK-chain.

I think the workflow ended up something like:
  1. Export the model with NeoDex
  2. Unparent all Bones and parent them to the root or some unanimated bone
  3. Export the resulting monstrosity
  4. Use the tool to copy the parenting from the first model to the monstrosity
  5. Polish the last bits by hand if needed

The tool only copies/replaces the parent id's.

If I remember correctly the the original problem I helped solve was something about NeoDex not handling IK animations in combination with translation of bones in an animated IK-chain.

I think the workflow ended up something like:
  1. Export the model with NeoDex
  2. Unparent all Bones and parent them to the root or some unanimated bone
  3. Export the resulting monstrosity
  4. Use the tool to copy the parenting from the first model to the monstrosity
  5. Polish the last bits by hand if needed

Hm... Seems that worked, however, model now have a issue with his torso or like middle part of model, that seems not moving in any animation. Btw, the main root bone "Bip001" after exporting saved as Helper, so the model that i've getting after your script does not have the main root bone "Bip001". Do you know how to force NeoDex save bone as bone and not helper? Or that maybe not a problem with that bone...

UPD:1
Hm, i am copied Helper "Bip001" from the other model and pasted to a model that i've got after script, but now, in the death animation the character fall too much under ground... (But other animations seems fixed)

Maybe i need copy also other information?

Or, maybe i need force to save that bone "Bip001" as a REAL bone and not helper... But i don't know how... Any thoughts?

UPD2: Video of model that i am get from Script:
Video, where i copy the Helper from other model and pasted in the model that i've get from Script:
So, there is a movement appear with torso\middle part, hovewer, it have troubles in death animation. That is maybe because there another information that is relatead to that Helper and i am not copied that...

UPD3: Hm, so, i've actually unlinked all bones, and created a simply little box , and then applied skin modifier to it and selected that "Bip001" bone and then saved model via NeoDex, and it saved that "Bip001" as a real Bone. And then i did everything the same via that Script and seems like now model fully fixed. I have try that on other models..

Last edited:
Hi! Did everything the same as the with the Lich, it fixed a lot of bugs, however, now i've get a this issue, seems like there is a bug that is related to vertexes. They seems not correcly connected to bones. I've tried to reattach and attach them again in MLVis, it impoved a bit, but not to good.
unknown.png
So, actually i need manually fix that or there is a way to avoid that bug?
unknown.png

Status
Not open for further replies.