• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model Discussion And Hayate's Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before im trying to flood the model section
lets just let people see my model if there is a change to get approved
and for me to learning too

first model..
how's the Wrapping
attachment.php

if not okay.. anyone... help me!! teach me xd

Attachments

• Untitledaa.png
    Untitledaa.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 374
  • Stag.mdx
    192.2 KB · Views: 121
Level 29
There are two main things when it comes to unwrapping, that determine its quality - continuity, and pixel density.
Continuity means that you don't have weird "cuts" or major changes in your unwrap, but rather that its as smooth as possible.
Pixel density means that for any region on the unwrap, you don't suddenly have much more/less pixels than other regions.
In practice, you can see pixel density issues as stretching, which is sadly very common for WC3 models, especially user made ones.
Checking pixel density issues is usually done with a checkers pattern image, where it is very obvious if a small rectangle of it is stretched, or if all of them are more-or-less uniform.

In your case the texture is too low resolution and the model is too low poly to really see the pixel density properly, however it looks like the density of the head is very different than the density of the body (or are they simply different textures?).
The unwrap has many cuts - the connection between the neck and the body, the connection between the front and back parts of the body, the connections between the ears and the head, and the connections between the legs and the body.

Level 29
Learn and improve.
Try to remove those cuts and make the unwrap flow better, and try using a checkers pattern image to see if your density looks ok.

I attached a random image from Google.
As you can see, the pixel density is pretty much ok, there aren't any big obvious distortions or changes in the proportions of the rectangles (beside a little problem between the horse's neck and his chest, where there is also a big and obvious cut).
However, it does have many cuts, which I highlighted.
At the end you will always get cuts, or to use a more professional word, seams (much like you have seams in, say, a teddy bear), but it is important to make as little as possible, and to hide the ones you must have as much as you can.
Try to place seams in places which the viewer is less likely to see. In the example of a horse, the bottom of his stomach is likely a good place to put a seam. The bottom side of his tail is likely a good place to put a seam. The bottom of his face is likely better than putting it at the top, and so on.

Attachments

• horse_checker_uv_layout.jpg
    horse_checker_uv_layout.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 169
Status
Not open for further replies.