• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Mini-mini-map contests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
TLDR: min-map contests not mini enuff

These are some suggestions for any MMC contests heading forward.
Mainly, that the current format is too long (time limit wise).
> Shorter contests (ie. the weekend ones) seem to have better turnout. Likely because most would rather not spend a month's worth of free time to build a map.
> Shorter time limits mean that there is a stronger focus on making smaller less grandiose projects, thus contestants are less likely to drop-out/procrastinate.
> By extension of the above, the current maps submitted to such contests are far from "mini-maps".

Thus I suggest that we make contests shorter; between a weekend to a whole week in length.
It also allows for more contests (and opportunities to join if you miss one) as opposed to the 2/year we currently do.

Level 23
Turnout speaks for itself.
This is not the first time the contestant pool has been the bare minimum (if any one person did not submit, we literally would have to give prizes to everyone since there would only be 3 contestants).

So far the turnout for short-form/weekend map contests have been far better; but then again, we haven't had quite enough of them to form a trend.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I see your point, but on the other hand:
Look at the cinematic contest, it's got a very long time pool and so far it appears that there might be many participants (yes, I guess the reward also influences this, but still). I also got the feeling that it scared people off if they had "only" one month to finish their map. Sometimes you don't realize there IS a contest before it is too late for you.

I think there could be an easy solution though:
We make more weekend mapping madness contests for the short contests and also add normal map contests with a longer duration. We could replace Mini Mapping Contests completely with these two. This way, we can have both long contests and short contests.
Should one prove to be not good enough, it can still be removed later on.

Level 23
We make more weekend mapping madness contests for the short contests and also add normal map contests with a longer duration. We could replace Mini Mapping Contests completely with these two. This way, we can have both long contests and short contests.

Im definitely in favour of this.
Often users bemoan how they miss a contest and cant join, since scrapping a map together half-way isn't exactly feasible.
I dont think we have a shortage of people to do reviews hence, having weekend madness run simultaneously/close to longer contests shouldn't be a problem.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Im definitely in favour of this.
Often users bemoan how they miss a contest and cant join, since scrapping a map together half-way isn't exactly feasible.
I dont think we have a shortage of people to do reviews hence, having weekend madness run simultaneously/close to longer contests shouldn't be a problem.

I wanted to start a new thread for the next contest anyway today. I'd start a normal map contest then.

Hm, funny idea. What about the theme ?

This thread wasn't for any specific contest as far as I can tell.
Gimme a few minutes and there'll be a thread for voting. :p

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, what about this: Instead of detailed, specific themes, participants only receive a genre, like Tower Defence or Dungeon Crawler.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Hm, what about this: Instead of detailed, specific themes, participants only receive a genre, like Tower Defence or Dungeon Crawler.

Hmm, I considered the themes of the last one not too specific, actually.
On the other hand, being not specific enough might make it more difficult comparing maps, perhaps.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I think considering the small time interval it might be a good idea to not limit too much. It shows how creative participants can be with a given genre.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I think considering the small time interval it might be a good idea to not limit too much. It shows how creative participants can be with a given genre.

You mean for the Weekend Mapping Madness then? Because I intend the first (I checked, couldn't find any non-mini mapping contest) "not-mini" mapping contest having a duration like 3 months or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.