• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contest #12 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
2.png

results.png

event-organisation.jpg

Organization
Contestants were to organize/grow something to make it better until certain goal condition has met (e.g. building (growing) civilization / kingdom / company / industry / anything).

Daffa the Mage:

OriginalityI wouldn't say this one is the most original idea. But still, it is decently made and the concept is pretty good.
18/25

Gameplay
  • Player heroes keep revived even after stated as defeated.
  • Zeppelin lacks the ability to carry unit, making it useless and lost it's purpose.
  • There's a lacking amount of variation for players in term of units, abilities and options for their gameplay.
  • Pathing is pretty narrow. Combined with medium sized units, it hardens player in making formation.
  • Player heroes has some unspent point after level 14, since Avatar (Level 3) is at level 16, and level 4 at 21.
  • It can be difficult to figure out where one can find Zeppelins, since not all capturable sectors can build them.
  • It's a good method that players can keep extending their armies over several tiers. This allows them to make better force and swiftly affect the battlefield.
  • The secondary resources is well through-out. It forces players to crush each other's sectors, making advance a necessity.
16/25

Theme
The map fits with the theme pretty well. Players are challenged to plan forward, think about how they will proceed and they also need to make risky decisions.
15/20

Aesthetics
  • The terrain is mostly flat. I only see ramp in most places other than flat terrain. (yes, I know the corners are made using other tools)
  • Mur'gul is quite an odd choice. I mean, the others are Revenant, Infernal and Faceless. They kinda odd in the palette.
  • 'Healing Bomb' model could be another than Healing Ward.
  • 'Healing Radiation' icon could be changed.
  • Avatar feels odd in the spell set for the hero. At least it could have better name and icon.
  • Hero should have a different model. It might be difficult to distinguish at times when you fail to notice the scale difference.
7/15

Triggers/Performance
  • Unit Groups, Locations and such has leaks. Memory Leaks
  • I recommend putting important stuffs used in triggers to variables so they save function calls (make maps faster a bit), for example : important units, unit-types, player groups and so on.
  • Optionally, don't use Integer A/B
  • Some triggers such as 'Main Sec Destroyed' can be made more efficient by using loops.
  • It's recommended to cache function calls ('Picked Units','Last Created Unit' and so on) into variables if used multiple times in one trigger.
  • The good part is that the map doesn't seems to suffer from lag and goes with decent frame per second (FPS), at least in my computer. And really, I like it that it doesn't lag, despite above issues.
6/10

Polishing
I found that all parts of the game content polished in term of 'polishing' content as is (despite the flaws in other aspects stated above). No ridiculously unreadable text or bugged imports.
Except :
  • is unskippable would be is unskippable or in better rewrite : cannot be skipped.
5/5

OriginalityThe concept is original. And to be honest, the gameplay is quite unique, adding more to it's originality.
24/25

Gameplay
  • A difficulty option is recommended. Newbies can have a hard time adapting.
  • Why players get defeated message when they successfully survive all seasons? (I checked the editor to be honest)
  • It's odd that all other kins are allied with each other. Seriously, aren't they suppose to fight each other?
  • Well done with the trait system. It adds a lot of diversification in types and play style for each unit.
  • The gameplay is great, and the challenge just add more to it. (Still, consider the difficulty thing)
21/25

Theme
The map suits the theme. Organization theme is well presented here. The map forces players to use elements that an organization uses to keep survive and continue it's existence.
18/20

Aesthetics
  • Terrain is well decorated here.
  • Tooltip are well done and understand-able.
  • The models and icons are suited well.
15/15

Triggers/Performance
  • Despite being efficient, the season changing triggers can freeze the game for a slight moment (at least noticeable for me). It's recommend to split the phase of enumeration or/and try to avoid enumeration that only done per season (for example : Carcass decaying can be enumerated when the carcass first appears and then changed unit type then transferred between group in between those season). There's nothing much that can be done about that aside minimizing enumerations of unit, since the operations for unit group enumerations are high. However, this is mot pretty major since during transition the game is paused.
  • Aged and Starved would be better added to the string variables used for status.
  • Pretty much the triggering is efficient, and performance aren't being too much affected (except the one listed above).
9/10

Polishing
The map is well polished and no error spotted, well done. I just couldn't said much except that.
5/5

OriginalityI must say the concept is pretty good, and it's quite original. I rarely recall such concept being used.
23/25

Gameplay
  • Visitors tend to block the pathway, making it difficult to get in and out to buy supplies and go hunting.
  • When the gate upgraded, the 'Open' and 'Close' ability disappears.
  • It's quite difficult to figure out what each monster eats/wants at the first try.
  • The variation of monster grants a big choice for players in choosing which to get caged.
  • The variation of food also grant players option of what kind of food to give to their monsters.
19/25

Theme
The map fits well with the theme. It shows a lot of organization elements in it's play.
17/20

Aesthetics
  • The terrain lacks decoration in most part. I really recommend decorating it further.
  • Icon for 'Gather' ability looks odd in terms of "Gather".
  • (Optional) Tranquilizer Darts and the shot ability can have the same icon.
  • Well done in choosing models for the monsters and their habitats.
9/15

Triggers/Performance
  • Delete the Melee Initialization trigger, it's useless.
  • Player Groups, Unit Groups, Locations and such has leaks. Memory Leaks
  • Item Stacking trigger is unneeded, it has no actions. (I assume this was planned but unfinished)
  • It's recommended to cache function calls ('Picked Units','Last Created Unit' and so on) into variables if used multiple times in one trigger.
  • Despite errors above, the performance is almost unaffected at all despite the complexity of the triggers.
7/10

Polishing
  • (Optional) There's no need for player to choose their race (unless you want them to be able to choose a certain race's BGM or cursor).
  • Despite being readable, there are some noticeable typos over the texts.
  • It's recommended to stick to a formation for Hotkeys. Having quite a random distribution is annoying.
  • It would be better if 'Imprison', 'Open' and 'Close' is placed on slot (0,0) in Gate.
3/5
OriginalityPlain amazing. Well done in making such a complex 2D style into Warcraft 3. Very original style indeed. The concept is rather interesting as well.
25/25

Gameplay
  • Collecting dyes using one specific mini-game can be boring over time. Something that should be considered.
  • It's a creative move to make players play 'mini-games' to proceed the gameplay.
  • The gameplay sort of manage to divert the presence of Warcraft as if it was 2D game made using Flash or similar. Well done.
23/25

Theme
The map design is well through out with the concept. It hits the spot pretty well.19/20

Aesthetics
  • The design of the map is well done.
15/15

Triggers/Performance
  • Optionally, don't use Integer A/B
  • Some triggers such as 'Fuse Puzzle Rotation' and 'Intro Crack Frames' can be simplified.
  • Well done with triggering. The triggers are well made (despite errors above) and manages to fulfill it's goal.
8/10

Polishing
  • 'Exit' DISBTN Icon is missing.
4/5

eubz:
OriginalityThis game has a little like destruct-the-base and own it. Has some kind of originality indeed, maybe.
20/25

Gameplay
There is insufficient place to put those guard towers. I don't really like soldiers who just came out of nowhere to fight against enemies. Why not train them. No worries, the game is still looking good at some point.15/25

Theme
Collecting base to own is nice. It makes your territory grow stronger just as the theme suggests.
19/20

Aesthetics
Terrain is good and cold. Nicely done and decorated. I like the style of the creator. Congratulations for that. 13/15

Triggers/Performance
There are leaks in the triggers that should be looked into. You should consider that if you create a location it should be destroyed. There are unit groups that should be in a variable and destroy them afterwards. Leaks, leaks, leaks they create lag in multi-player game and should be avoided.2/10

Polishing
The loading screen really fits with the game but I guess it is still better to use a custom loading screen. Coloring and icons and others are all OK.
4/5

OriginalityVery good one, dude. This one is something like a season game and I haven't played anything like this before.
24/25

Gameplay
Good one! But one more thing, life for each of these creatures seem too short to kill and eat its prey. Still, if you like to win, then you have to work fast. I should say, you did well, dude.24/25

Theme
You got me with the game, man. It is perfect with the theme. You have to survive each season to grow no matter how difficult it is.
19/20

Aesthetics
I have nothing against how the map is made. It's terrain is good and everything is well placed.12/15

Triggers/Performance
As I could see, triggers are well done and well organized. Nothing that will make the game to have lags or anything lie this.10/10

Polishing
Well, you did well with the polishing here but I guess you can have a good loading screen to catch some attention from the players. You only have that black screen with texts and I guess you can do something much better than that.
3/5

OriginalityCool game! It's really addicting once you start playing this kind of map. Though there are only few things I could see that were modified but still original on how you do things like getting those creatures from the dark forest and the like.
21/25

Gameplay
I like going out and capturing those monsters. The time for the creeps to wake up is very tight compared to the speed of the horse who captures it. Maybe you should make the time a little bit longer.22/25

Theme
Nice! You have to populate the whole zoo before the arrival of the king. This really jives with the theme
18/20

Aesthetics
Maybe you should do some more work with the terrain. Some part of the map is plain. Why not use some raise and low tool.7/15

Triggers/Performance
The game performs well but there is some location leaks found. Maybe review your locations and remove them if necessary6/10

Polishing
You might want to have a fresh and new loading screen. It looks like you just used a loading screen from the game. Also, there are instances that the icon of the worker doesn't seem to fit. I mean, the model is human while its icon is undead or orc.2/5
OriginalityThis game is fresh and those doodles really makes me say "Woah!"24/25

Gameplay
Nice gameplay indeed and I like the mini-games. Everything looks great here.23/25

Theme
This game comes along with the theme. You have to be witty to get everything colored to improve the town.19/20

Aesthetics
  • I could say this makes warcraft UI different. You could feel like you are playing in a different platform.
15/15

Triggers/Performance
Everything works well here. All triggers are well done and I could not find any that will make the game lag.10/10

Polishing
The game is really well polished and is ready for distribution just like any other games out there. This is new, works well, good imported arts, what can I say more.5/5
Poll Results - Qualification Rules - Judging Criteria - Prizes

Map: Avg. Judge Score - Poll Percentage
Operation Assault: 70 - 13.64%
Paradise: 92.5 - 27.27%
Monster Zoo: 77 - 9.09%
Doodlecraft: 95 - 50.00%

Formula
0.35 * (votes / total votes) + 0.65 * ( (judge 1 score + judge 2 score) / 2) * 100

Final Results
[rainbow]Congratulations to:[/rainbow]
1st place - Tickles' Doodlecraft
2nd place - Kino's Paradise
3rd place - DEE-BOO's Monster Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.