• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Might and Magic RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello, I'm new to posting here but not new to browsing. This is one of the best sources for everything related to the World Editor on the Web, so I'm always checking here when I decide making maps.

Anyways, I thought this Idea Factory thing was really interesting. Just what I needed to ask help getting new ideas for my RPG.

So far, what I want to do is an RPG with two main "attributes", called Might and Magic. That's inspired in the "Heroes of Might and Magic" turn-based strategic-RPG game series. So basically you play as warriors or mages or whatever and gain Might or Magic or both, which will later be used to promote your character to another, more powerfull class, or maybe buying skills, whatever. There's a lot os possibilities. This is done changing the "gold" and "lumber" resources to "Might" and "Magic". The way you acquire Might or Magic is similar to how you train your class in "Dungeon Siege"; you gain points as you fight with determined weapon.

For my RPG, that will be done by using two triggers...

First, your character will have a spellbook which will have all available weapon choices he has. Inside lets suppose you have the ability "Equip Axe". When you click it, your character will gain an attachment with an axe model, and would, for example, gain a buff like "Wields an Axe".

So, if he is wielding an Axe, he should be eligible to gain Might points as he fights. The primary idea to do that would be through a trigger like this:

• Events
    • Unit - A unit owned by Neutral Hostile Dies
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 700.00 of (Position of (Triggering unit))) and do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • If (((Picked unit) has buff Wields an Axe) Equal to True) then do (Player - Add 1 to (Owner of (Picked unit)) Current gold) else do (Do nothing)
        • If (((Picked unit) has buff Wields a Staff) Equal to True) then do (Player - Add 1 to (Owner of (Picked unit)) Current lumber) else do (Do nothing)
"Might" and "Magic" as some kind of "resource" makes it easy to manage things, but another idea would be to do like Dungeon Siege and make characters gain points either on Melee Combat, Ranged Combat, Combat Magic or Nature Magic by using weapons from the respective areas. This way, there would be more possibilities for higher class promotions, as players could do a total of 4 "Pure" builds plus 12 builds combining 2 areas, leading to a total of 16 possible promotions, and then keep comining, etc.

So, that's pretty much all I've been thinking about. I'd really appreciate comments and ideas for this :)

Thanks in advance.

Level 5
Thank you very much for your reply, Aschy. Let me try answering to your suggestions...

...but in my opinion I think you should add ranged as one of the attributes

Actually "Might" would be the "Physical" attribute and "Magic" would be the "Magical" one, so "Ranged" is included in Might... At least that's the initial idea.

...or do the dungeon siege idea

That was just something passing through my mind =P
It would be cool, but way too much "inspired" in dungeon siege; it would look like a copied idea, i believe...

Anyways, as I said, having only two attributes makes it easy to manipulate them as resources instead of gold and lumber. But I think it's possible to add another attribute in the same fashion by using it instead of "food", that's a possibility.

I'm attaching a link to my map so anyone can download it and see what I've done so far. It's not much, pretty initial stuff, most of it is common in all RPGs, but you can get a feeling of what I have in mind.

Attachments

• mightandmagic RPG scratches.w3x
    325.3 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.