• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Metamorphosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Heya,

I wanted to give an unit the ability to temporarily transform. I decided to use the metamorphosis ability. I edited it and gave it to the said unit, but when I activate it, the only thing that happens is, that the unit doesn't transform and is freezed in it's place :confused: what to do now?

Hope somebody can help me with this.

Level 7
That is because the "Metamorphosis" power is only for Illidan. If you give the spell to another unit, it will not work because the unit is not given the animation to transform. Instead, You can try "Avatar". It makes the unit bigger in size when used andaalso works properly. But if you want to transform them fully, you have to make a custom spell.

Level 8
Try using the "Bear Form" or "Crow Form" ability, most of these issues come from when you're trying custom transformation abilities on hero's, however, it can be done with some relatively easy triggers, if you can give me a detailed description of exactly what kind of spell you want I'll see if i can come up with something for you :D

Level 8
Heya,

I wanted to give an unit the ability to temporarily transform. I decided to use the metamorphosis ability. I edited it and gave it to the said unit, but when I activate it, the only thing that happens is, that the unit doesn't transform and is freezed in it's place :confused: what to do now?

Hope somebody can help me with this.
Make sure you use Metamorphosis from night elf section of abilities, not Illidans special one that turns him forever. Check in the object editor in abilities section that you selected both normal and metamorphosis unit correctly. Check if you have any triggers connected to this ablility that might effect it.

Level 7
Try using the "Bear Form" or "Crow Form" ability, most of these issues come from when you're trying custom transformation abilities on hero's, however, it can be done with some relatively easy triggers, if you can give me a detailed description of exactly what kind of spell you want I'll see if i can come up with something for you :D

So I want a Water-Elemental to be able to turn into an Reef-Elemental (the neutral creep one) for a specific period of time.
If you need more information just tell me.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Edit: when I use Bear Form the unit just dies, which is kinda funny:xxd:

Level 8
I came up with this for you, this trigger is not the best but it works and i think it's easy to understand
  • Stage 1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- Change "My Custom Ability" to your spell --------
      • Set CustomSpell = My Custom Ability
      • -------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Ability being cast) Equal to CustomSpell
        • Then - Actions
          • Set CastingUnitType = (Unit-type of (Triggering unit))
          • Set CastingUnit = (Triggering unit)
          • -------- Change This Variable to what ever unit you want the ability to transform the unit into, it can be anything. --------
          • Set TransformedUnitType = Reef Elemental
          • -------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------
          • -------- The number 30 can be changed to how ever long you want the metamorphosis to last --------
          • Set Length_Of_Abiltiy = 30.00
          • -------- DO NOT CHANGE --------
          • Unit - Replace CastingUnit with a TransformedUnitType using The old unit's relative life and mana
          • Set MetamorhpedUnit = (Last replaced unit)
          • -------- Set your custom effect for your spell here --------
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of MetamorhpedUnit using Abilities\Spells\Other\Charm\CharmTarget.mdl
          • -------- -------------------------------------------------------- --------
          • Unit - Add a Length_Of_Abiltiy second Water Elemental expiration timer to MetamorhpedUnit
        • Else - Actions
I've included the trigger in the map that I've attached, so that you can just copy the trigger over to your map, just make sure that before you copy it over, go into your editor and to go to the top left and click
Files > Preferences > And make sure "Automatically create unknown variables while pasting trigger data" is ticked.
However there is an issue with my trigger, it will sort of stop working once multiple units start using it, due to the second stage of my trigger. However I am sure that anyone of our lovely hive members will have the knowledge that I don't and will give you the information required to fix this, in the mean time i will continue to try and figure out how to make the second part of the trigger work the way we want :D
  • Stage2
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to TransformedUnitType
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 CastingUnitType for (Triggering player) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing (Facing of (Triggering unit)) degrees
        • Else - Actions

Attachments

• Metamorphosis.w3x
    18.7 KB · Views: 57
Level 11
So I want a Water-Elemental to be able to turn into an Reef-Elemental (the neutral creep one) for a specific period of time.
If you need more information just tell me.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Edit: when I use Bear Form the unit just dies, which is kinda funny:xxd:
Kinda not understand. Do you need the demon hunter-like metamorph but remove the problem with death animation?

Level 7
Kinda not understand. Do you need the demon hunter-like metamorph but remove the problem with death animation?

So @orcling3 already wrote a trigger for the ability to work. My water elemental now transforms accordingly. But after the transformation ends, the spell has no cooldown. That's the issue.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
That is because the "Metamorphosis" power is only for Illidan. If you give the spell to another unit, it will not work because the unit is not given the animation to transform.
No it isn't a "Illidan's only ability". It can work on any unit, you just have to check the right unit types and the dependencies on the units between metamorphosis.
I don't get why no one talked about this, but it's much more simple on object editor than creating this through triggers that won't even have the same exact effect. "Data - Normal Form Unit" field must be changed to the normal unit which is the normal state. "Data - Alternate Form Unit" field is the transformed unit type. Now the "Techtree - Dependency Equivalents" of the normal unit MUST be set to the transformed unit. No need unnecessary triggers for this

Status
Not open for further replies.