• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Metal slug style gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
it that possible make metal slug gameplay?me now i trying making a 2D game like metal slug style with deathmatch teamdeathmatch and more...any suggections?:grin:

Yes it is possible to do metal slug type gameplay, though it'll take a lot of work.
My best guess would be that you should use a method where your looking straight down at the board and use different tiles to check for collision for things like jumping and such - this way you can get more complicated with the levels set up (like having paths on top of paths) and you don't have to use something like flying height for factoring in collision of bullets.

Take a look at this map for ideas: (it's a platformer)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...61/?prev=search=platform%20escape&d=list&r=20

Level 16
i agree, using height to detect collision is pretty bad, but,

you could make a trigger where when the unit jumps, and presses the shoot button,

create bullet at position of where the caster is facing , then
change bullet flying height into unit's flying height (if you use flying height to display jumping unit)

then, check when the bullet slides infront using slide system
if it collides unit within 50 range
and check if picked unit's flying height is (Greater than current flying height of the bullet -4, and Lesser than Bullet flying height +4)

so that, it checks if the unit hit on the legs or head, it will still damage, not only exactly must be the same flying height as the bullet

then..
cause shooter to damage picked unit

my explanation is for something like slash craft

where you see the unit from sides, i think its better than making something like platform Escape.. where your background is ugly, you can make a better forest background or something.

with doadads and props.

use some jump system to allow you pass through a certain height terrain, if your height is higher than that terrain, i think ellimination tournament have those, if your jump height is lesser than the terrain, you can't pass through it.

hope i gave you some nice idea.

Level 3
i agree, using height to detect collision is pretty bad, but,

you could make a trigger where when the unit jumps, and presses the shoot button,

create bullet at position of where the caster is facing , then
change bullet flying height into unit's flying height (if you use flying height to display jumping unit)

then, check when the bullet slides infront using slide system
if it collides unit within 50 range
and check if picked unit's flying height is (Greater than current flying height of the bullet -4, and Lesser than Bullet flying height +4)

so that, it checks if the unit hit on the legs or head, it will still damage, not only exactly must be the same flying height as the bullet

then..
cause shooter to damage picked unit

my explanation is for something like slash craft

where you see the unit from sides, i think its better than making something like platform Escape.. where your background is ugly, you can make a better forest background or something.

with doadads and props.

use some jump system to allow you pass through a certain height terrain, if your height is higher than that terrain, i think ellimination tournament have those, if your jump height is lesser than the terrain, you can't pass through it.

hope i gave you some nice idea.

tq ur suggections :D wat iam know is...iam know wat way to using keyboard system and jump system and more than that so iam not worry about trigger me juz worry the models no one making model facing instandly no delay and some jump animation shoot animation duck animations beside me also try making 3D more than warcraft III means iam making like devil may cry system using the camare rotation at the facing unit of triggerunit.

tq ur suggections :D wat iam know is...iam know wat way to using keyboard system and jump system and more than that so iam not worry about trigger me juz worry the models no one making model facing instandly no delay and some jump animation shoot animation duck animations beside me also try making 3D more than warcraft III means iam making like devil may cry system using the camare rotation at the facing unit of triggerunit.

Wait, what?

Well one thing to keep in mind while working on this is how complex your levels are going to be and how much work/experience you already have with the editor.

My suggested method:
Pros:
-Easier to trigger
-Allows for more complex level design as it more easily allows you to have multiple levels and the ability to stand on top of things you can stand under
Cons:
-Difficult to make look good
-Your going to need someone to make you models that are sideways to look right (trees and that sort of thing could be made easily)

Razors method:
Pros:
-Much easier to look good
-End result will probably resemble the actual game more
Cons:
-Much harder to trigger
-Less complex levels design (restrictions with cliff height and complications on adding multiple levels (standing on the ceiling of something) make designing complex levels more difficult).

Level 16
no delay facing, there is a trigger for that lol

make unit face "angle" at "x"

set x to instantly.

try checking out the Channel abilities section,

you could make their shortcut to W,A,S,D

its done in Slashcraft, try check out their map,

when unit pressed D, he face right, and moved front :D

can be done by connecting unit cast an ability thing

anyways, there is a way to make yourself stand on top of things, even make destroyable baricade and props,

its easier to map

try Piling up barricades,

or make baricade's height using Ctrl page up or Down

and use triggers to do the rest,

there is a way to make it stand able, even any doadeds or unit can be made Standable

you could make houses and Stairs using The bridges in Wc3

try out Changing the bridge model into a table
and make it looks like stairs as much as possible with Ctrl Page up, and Down to vary their height

dont forget to make its pathing to none,
make sure you use the pathing blocker to block some ways which must be blocked...

:D that way you could make a metal slug style of gameplay, where there is stairs, and stuff...just move unit infront to make it looks like running up the stairs :D...

if you want, i can make a map on it, or give you an example map..

Status
Not open for further replies.